Vaginal Repair for Rectocele on February 27th, what should I expect?

Posted , 21 users are following.

So just to give a little background, I am a mommy of a 5 year old and I work at an Amazon warehouse. I am in the US. When I gave birth to my son, he got stuck in the birth canal and the doctor had to cut me and put a suction cup on his head and pull him out while I was pushing. Ever since the birth of my son I have been constipated and my vagina has been very open and loose. It never came close to being normal again after delivery and I had talked to several doctors and other women who had children vaginally and seemed to be the only one having this issue. Finally after 5 years of doctors telling me I was fine and normal and to just do kegals, I finally was diagnosed about 8 months ago with a "very relaxed perineum" and was told I needed to have a procedure called perineoplasty and that it would repair the tissue between my vagina and rectum and that it would help a lot with my bowel movements and tighten up the front of my vagina, but only the front few centimeters. I was very worried that if only the first few centimeters were tightened that my vagina would be like a little creek that led to an ocean, like tight for a second and then gigantic. Then in January I seen a different OBGYN that was switching my Merina (5 year IUD birth control) and I asked him what he thought. He did a vaginal and rectal exam and said my sphincter muscle was very damaged, my perineum needs repaired, and yes of course my vagina is very open. He said the ideal vagina is about a 2 finger size and mine is at least a 4 finger vagina. I am only 20 years old. I want the surgery. I would love to have regular sex and regular bowel movements. I want to be functional again. I worry that by getting this surgery I would have to have a c section if I chose to have any more kids in the future. I only have 1. It would be at least a few years down the road, but if I don't medically have to have a c section, I would rather not. By getting this surgery would I have to have a c section or get this surgery all over again? I am like addicted to getting as much information about the procedure as possible. It will be an outpatient surgery. I go in at noon, surgery starts around 1 and lasts about an hour and as long as everything goes "normal" then I will be released around 3pm. I will have post op check ups and will have to be cleared for things like sex and going back to work, and things like that. What is the normal time frames you were told and when did you feel like you were ready? What should I be asking on my next visit before the surgery? Has anyone else that has gotten this done been this loose or open before surgery? If so, did it really help with that? I mean it is so bad I hardly ever get an orgasm...I dream about them though. I love to have sex but I just feel ruined. Like my bank got robbed or something. I just want to make sure before I get this surgery and wait all this time for it to heal and miss this much work, that it is actually going to fix my problems. I also recently started getting a painful kind of pressure feeling in my rectum when I am sitting down. I am guessing this is a symptom of the rectocele issues? My doctor mentioned words like prolapse, having to put my organs back in place where they should be, putting my muscles back in place, perineoplasty, vaginal repair, and things like that. Will al of this happen in this surgery? How long did your surgery take? Has anyone had more than one vaginal surgery? I was told by my doctor that if I got more than one I would get painful scar tissue. Is this true in most cases? The pain that I will be in after the surgery, does is feel like after giving birth, worse, or not quite as bad? I am trying to get a general idea of what will happen. I have a wonderful boyfriend that is just amazing with my son and really wants to keeo him home with him and take him to preschool/daycare on his normal schedule (we work together but I get him ready in the mornings and walk him in) and then me and my boyfriend go to work. I will be staying at my mother's house for the first week or so until I am independent and comfortable doing a little bit more. (She's a nurse), and also because my boyfriend will still have to go to work. Just trying to plan out as much as I can. Any advice or personal experience you can share would be greatly appreciated. I am so very excited to finally get this surgery, but I am very afraid. My doctor acts like its no big deal and I will be fine in 4-6 weeks and I just don't think it's that simple. Thank you all for reading.

1 like, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi,

Just wondering how your surgery went, I'm to have mine on Dec 2/2015 and I too am concerned about it particularly if my obgyn is really good at these repairs as I care about everything working properly as well as sexual function being restored..also she has said she's doing the cystocele/anterior repair and Maybe some posterior work, she'll see how bad it is when she goes in!!??

I know I have a rectocele I had it even before I was pregnant with my second (who's almost a year) because I was severely constipated and couldn't empty my bowels for like a year before last pregnancy..also I need perineoplasty because I tore and popped a stitch and there's nothing to my perineum now just a cavern covered with skin no support at all..I think my surgery will have to be rescheduled if the slot on Dec 2 nd isn't long enough for her to do all that...I know your post is 9 months ago but I too am addicted to researching this as it's a huge deal to me; being able to pee, poop, and even wanting to have sex ever again..And it seems you get one shot at this surgery too..Thx

• Posted

Hello!

I’m feeling much like you were when you wrote your post. How are you now? How was surgery?

All the best, and with gratitude,

Heidi 

• Posted

hi sorry I just saw your post now I am all right I actually have to have urinary incontinence surgery now on November 30 but my urogynaecologist did tell me that sometimes they discover you need to do that about a year later from the original surgery anyways I’m having a mid urethral sling put in and I don’t even get knocked out for it for some reason the surgery is making me so queasy where as the more major one I didn’t even care I mean I wasn’t scared of the pain there something about your urethra that just says don’t go there catheters are horrible enough - am i right !? anyways - I would say the inside of my vagina is definitely tighter it’s not tight enough for my liking x I was tighter before like even between kid 1 and 2 - but anyway beggars can’t be choosers I suppose - the opening is still gaping i guess maybe thats cosmetic to them i dont ccare what i look like down there i just want it to be closed its like the opening of the insude of my vagina is exposed all the time its not supposed to be like that - does anyone else have this problem and what surgery or whatever is needed to fix it/what it called ? call me picky but im a single mom i want to get back out there but feel like damaged goods still

• Posted

I am very glad for the preventative knowledge I gained about vaginal loose, and I don't want to be doing any exercises that would put me at risk for it.I am 100% satisfied with myotaut serum.Tightens serum perfectly.

• Posted

Why don't you keep your stupid advertisements to yourself this forum is for real people with this issue not some poor English- speaking scammer. 

• Posted

I'm sorry but excuse me? Was your message intended for me? I am not that person who you say apparently is a scammer and doesn't know how to speak English well. I am libbylibs, they were responding to me.

• Posted

Omg I’m sorry you’re totally right I’m so embarrassed. I’ve seen these forums slammed with adverts but I realize now you were a poster I read your replies to op. This is an old thread just rereading stuff as just had my 2nd repair years later but I do apologize libbylibs if you ever read this! Honestly Very Sorry!😬🤭🙃

• Posted

Can anybody also help me with my problem?

the question in which condition the vagina will be after childbirth is troubling every woman. I have the same problems with [url=http://motherhow.com/vagina-after-birth/]the vagina after birth and i don't know what to do.

It looses it's sensitivity(

• Posted

I used it twice a day for few days and we noticed s big difference by using dermalmd product.I could notice the labia wall shrinked well.
  • Posted

HOW ARE YOU DOING DID YOU EVER HAD YOUR SERG DONE?
  • Posted

Using the myotaut vagina tightening treatment for the second time and it works like a charm. it takes time to see initial effects but it’s well worth for the price

• Posted

These serums will not take away any prolapse..

Most importantly they havr not been clinically trialed. I would be very nervous to put anything like that near vagina area.

• Posted

whats in it do u know i was using alum from the spice isle in the grocery store - thats right - pickling salt it works you just dissolve it in warm water about a teaspoon and then squirt it up there hold it in for as long as you can and it will tighten right up i’m times it lasted for me for an entire night and sometimes it goes away within one hour so just don’t use it too often or you’ll get a yeast infection because it kills all the good bacteria... you can use that like once a week maybe less - come to think of it I meant to tell my doctor that I was still considering using that so I don’t think that they approve it this is in the ongoing argument I have with him over how tight my vagina is or have not typed I should say

• Posted

I recently had a hysterectomy, bladder suspension and rectocele surgery all at one time. I was i a lot of pain in the hospital but was doing well enough to go home the day after. I have had no issues urinating, i had my first BM 2 days post surgery. Not gonna lie it was painful and i have a high tollerance to pain. I can't take pain meds or strong dosages of tylenol or motrin. since i was already on FMLA for 6 weeks i opted to get my knee meniscus repair surgery done as well and dis it 1 week after the other surgeries. I am 6 weeks post op and healing well. My stitches have not completely desolved, i was released to go back to work and regular activities last week, so nervously i had a few adult beverages before attempting sex out of fear. It does feel like a virgin all over again, painful and very tight, but i was able to orgasm better than i have in a while. I think it will get better with time, as i am still healing. I know it was a bit stressful and worrisome for my man. He was having a hard time getting in and the stress of him hurting me was affecting him. On a side note I have had a few infections which i think is common with all three of the first surgeries i had. I am not having any more children so i felt with all the issues i was having it was my best option. So far so good.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.