Vaginal tightness with menopause

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been perscribed vaginal tablets Vagifem which I insert daily.  Although it helps a bit with some symptoms I am still unable to have penetrating sex with my partner. I want to go to doctor but I find it difficult to discuss because she is so young.  I am due another smear test and am terrified to go because of the use of the instrument they use would cause me to split.  I am wondering about pushing to go on to full HRT to solve this issue. I am 53. I exercise regularly and consider myself healthy although probably drink too much wine. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I have always had that problem. Probably because I had 2 c scetions with my 2 kids. When I go for my pap I always ask for the smallest instrument she has. There are different sizes.  She always asks me if I want the pediatric one and we both laugh, but aIl I am thinking in my head....yes please.

• Posted

Hi hunny I am in exactly the same place as you with this problem. I'm 51, like my fitness and a few glasses of wine.

Penetrative sex is so very vey painful and I cry and cry (which kind of kills the mood) and my dear hubby is so gentle though. I've had swabs, smears and scans and am now just going to start vagifem like you. My smear test was terribly painful to be completely honest but you can request small instruments and my doctor was extremely gentle and patient. It only took 30 secs in the end and all was well so I truly hope you can relax too and get through it for peace of mind.

You are more than within your rights to ask for a more mature doctor Hun so please do as it is vital that you are able to talk freely and descriptively. The more info u can give your doc the more they can help.

My heart goes out to you as we seem to be both in the same boat so I really send you lots of love to help you through this. Let's keep in touch as we have same treatments to use and compare notes if you like? It's always good to talk to someone who is experiencing the same problems as it just helps you feel normal -if u know what I mean. Take care Hun and let us know how u get on xxxx😀

• Posted

Vagifem don't work instantly, esp. the new low dose ones, in the meantime you could try vaginal dilators.

• Posted

Hi Jaxywaxy, there are vitamin E suppositories you can insert. One lady I know used them and had success after putting them in at night. You may want to try it. 
  • Posted

Hi Jaxy

Please explain this to your GP, she may be able to change your presecription to a different level. You may also be recommended dilator therapy which can help. You need to maintain moisture in the vagina to enable internal exams etc, even if one is not sexyually active. I am not sure that going on HRT would solve this problem you have and it is a drastic move for vaginal atrophy. Please ask your GP and consider dilators, it is easy to overcome and one of those taboo subjects women just speak about - but should!

I hope this helps,

S

• Posted

Jaxywaxy, if you are interested in maintaiing a sexual lifewithyour partner, please do something.   This issue of vaginal health should not be taken lightly.  Left untreated the vaginal walls shrink, can become very irritated, and it can cause severe discomfort.  53 seems way too young to give up on having a sexual life.

There are several non hormonal things you can try, like the vitamin E suppositories that were mentioned.  As well as coconut oil.

Vagifem, and also vaginal Estrace, are prescriptions that your doctor can give you.

I have tried the vaginal Estrace, and while they say that these products are not systemic, that has not been my personal experience.

While using HRT is  not your only option, I have used patches and vaginal progesterone and I will say, it did bring my vagina back to health. No pain, healthy tissue, ability to orgasm, and complete comfort during sex.  

I wish you luck on this journey.  This memopausal crap is for the birds.  It's not a lot of fun, at a time in our life when we finally have some freedom and should be able to enjoy life!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.