Vaginal yeast infection not lighting up after 4 days

Posted , 3 users are following.

So 25 yr old female,I have a history of IC (interstitial cystitis for those who don't know).This is a painful bladder syndrome that causes strong to severe UTI symptoms that last for several weeks at a time when they flare. It causes the usual like what you would deal with in your typical UTI-burning urethra, frequency of urintating, pain in pelvic region etc. So I am also on depo provera and I believe this is what caused my yeast infection. Sometimes when my shot is due or coming up, I experience acne breakouts, spotting, irritability, bloating...and I believe in this case- a yeast infection. I feel like my body was very off balanced because I was breaking out way more than I usually do. 

I had sex with my boyfriend on a Sunday and by Tuesday I started experiencing some mild itching deep in the vagina, was having clear watery discharge along with a foul odor (kinda smelled like coffee and I don't drink coffee) and I had some white flakes on the outside of my vagina I noticed. My depo was due the following day so I decided to just hold off and wait till I get into my dr to bring it up. By the time Wednesday rolled around things were 10times worse. The itching was only after urinating or wiping. Burning was after urination. I was peeing a lot! Now I pee a lot naturally with my condition but it has been out of control like every 45 minutes and it was a decent amount each time too.So I was more than ready to get to the doctor. She did a vaginal exam and said based on my symptoms and what she saw under the microscope it was most likely yeast. She gave me 3 flucanozole pills. We did not check for UTI because I have had UTI's in past and this didn't feel like it was one at the time. She said if I wasn't feeling better by the weekend to call again Monday to make another appointment. Well it's Friday I have taken 2 Diflucan's so far and there has been improvement with the itching and not as nearly much as watery discharge as there was, but still urinating a lot, still burning after urination not with, still seeing white flakes in urine and around vulva. So if anyone who knows much about yeast infections because I haven't had one this bad ever before, could tell me more about why this isn't really going away and what might be to blame to let me know

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, if the UTI is not improving you might need antibiotics. If it gets worse over the weekend and you are in pain you can call 111, the NHS non-emergency services. They can arrange an out-of-hours appointment (usually at a nearby hospital), where the doctor will test your urine and prescribe an antibiotic. 

Long term, I would recommend eating plenty of probiotics like yoghurt or even better kefir with live lactobacillus cultures. These acid tolerant bacteria can travel through the stomach and colonise your gut and eventually also the vagina. They will help to protect the natural flora of the vagina by creating a slightly acid environment. This will help keep yeasts in check. If you are milk-intolerant you cold take lactobacillus capsules. 

You could also ask your pharmacist for probiotic vaginal suppositories. These are especially useful after a course of antibiotics as they help recolonize the vagina with 'good' bacteria.

• Posted

April I have struggled with some of these symptoms, severe UTI's , irregular bleeding & pain. I went to the ER twice and to my family doctor and was given three different anabiotic's . It helped some but didn't get rid of it. I tried many natural meds as well and the only thing that helped was Apple cider vinegar . I put 1 tablespoon in a shot glass and added apple juice and drink it twice a day . Just thought I would pass this along. I hope you start feeling better soon .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.