VAIN2

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've recently been diagnosed with VAIN2 which was treated with cauterisation.  There is very little information about this and I'm just wondering if there is anyone else out there who has had the same? Apparently it's quite rare, but I do wonder if this is simply because it isn't often picked up? I have a follow up in 6 months with another colposcopy and will have to be monitored long term.  Ugh!!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kathryn What is Vain2? And what are your symptoms? I haven't heard of it but as you say maybe one of those things that isn't talked about!!! My doctor has never mentioned Atrophic Vaginitis! I had to find out for myself what was wrong with me!

So tell us more as then we may be familiar with your symptoms.   

Regards Miss Monty. 

• Posted

I didn't have any symptoms, my gynaecologist saw it when he was trying to find my very elusive cervix! Apparently, he used 2 dyes, iodine and ascetic acid and when an area of my vagina didn't take the dye he took 3 biopsies which showed VAiN2. It's graded the same as CIN.
  • Posted

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Cancertypes/Vagina/Pre-cancerousconditions/Vain.aspx

the site above is very informative. I had cauterization of the cervix 55 years ago and there were no problems thereafter. Had exams every year. Sounds like this could be similar, but affecting the vaginal tissue instaed of the cervix. Believe it was called dysplasia (not sure though) and was also considered pre-cancerous.

I was young and didn't stress over it. Probably the best thing you can do for your body. Just go for your exams to be safe. Best of luck.

Emis Moderator comment: There is also a patient lefalet on patient.info as below.

https://patient.info/health/Vulval-Intra-epithelial-Neoplasia.htm

• Posted

Thank you for your response. Yes, VAIN is like CIN, but affects the vagina rather than the cervix. The moderator has mistakenly directed me to a patient on vulval intra-epithelial neoplasm, which I haven't got!  I have had the area cauterised and have to go for another colposcopy in 6 months. Fingers crossed that all is well then. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.