Valerian root and tapering.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm having a very difficult time tapering now that I have been heavily drinking for about 4 days. Does anybody know if valerian root helps I'm trying to taper off. I now have only 4 days and I'm still at 10 or 11 units

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear this. No idea about Valerian. How have you been trying to taper, what have you done and what has got in the way?

• Posted

I used to be able to sleep through the night, go to work and then have 3-6 units at night after work. Having been drinking about 16 units a day I now wake up in the middle of the night with withdrawal symptoms. I go to work at 3am so I am now starting to drink at work very early in the morning. I don't throw up but I am so anxious and my stomach is in knots. I end up drinking more to temporarily stop that. My hands aren't shaking and my last drink was 5 hrs ago. I think I just need to buck up.

• Posted

' if valerian root helps'

From personal experience, not really. I stilll have the best part of a jar of it in the kitchen. I just haven't got round to throwing it out.

• Posted

do you have any suggestions as to what I can buy over the counter that would help with the anxiety
    • Posted

Unfortunately no, I don't know exactly what you can get in the States OTC. But the only thing that has ever really worked for me is benzos/diazepam.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I do believe there are some decent OTC anti-nausea medications, such as Kwells and Phenergan Elixir, which contain respectively, hyoscine hydrobromide and promethazine theoclate. Don't know what the US brand names are though. They may help.

• Posted

Thank you. Every comment helps. It's been 6 hrs since my last drink and my shift is over. I'm going to try to wait for my wife to get home in 3 hours for my next drink and that'll make it 5 for the day. if I can keep it at 8 for the day and then knock off 2 drinks a day I'm hoping I'll be good by Monday night

• Posted

I really hope you can do it
  • Posted

Hi 171207. Just catching up on emails as been busy. I agree with RHGB in that valerian root didn't help me. I also agree with him about otc meds. Phergan works well for me. It helps with nausea and insomnia. Though do not take it if drinking heavily. Hope the tapering is going successfully. Diazepam is the best if your doctor will prescribe, I'm a week and sober now with the help of diazepam. Best of luck to you and don't give up on this xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.