valerian root for anxiety?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey everyone.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience using valerian root for anxiety. My boyfriends mom believes in natural healing and suggestion I start taking it.

I read some articles on it. And it seems that it helps people relax. But I'm questioning if it will help with panic disorder.

thanks!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have tried it. I guess it didnt leave a mark i never continued using it and you cant use it if you use any anti anxiety meds. It tastes horrible as well. Theres a product l theanine..suntheanine works well you would have to ask dr. If its ok if you are on any other medicines. Herbs are medicinal so you cant use them without a doctor knowing if you use medicine.
  • Posted

I have tried it. I guess it didnt leave a mark i never continued using it and you cant use it if you use any anti anxiety meds. It tastes horrible as well. Theres a product l theanine..suntheanine works well you would have to ask dr. If its ok if you are on any other medicines. Herbs are medicinal so you cant use them without a doctor knowing if you use medicine.
  • Posted

I believe like your boyfriends mum about natuaral remedies I havent heard of it but I use aromatherapy oils such as bergamot vertiver lavender and patchouii. Im not trying to promote or suggest anything but these and other oils for anxiety help me I still take conventional meds as I need the two but eventually I hope to come off the meds. I also drink chamolile tea twice a day and I have found that I sleep better at night but its whatever suits you and you body my love there is also a natural remedy called bachs rescue remedy which you can take as ofter as you like. as far as Im aware the only natural remedy I would be slightly cautious of is st johns wort as it cannot be taken with certain medicines. If you find a natural remedy that suits rather than conventional meds it would be better I believe. if you want look into natural remedies and see if any work for you but remember like meds they will take a little time to get into your system. I hope you will find something that suits you my love 
  • Posted

valearian is a plant extract and not recognised by medicine although the alternative med people use it.  It may help you I would ask someone like a herbalist what it does.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.