Valium and fatigue

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was on xanax for about 3 years .05mg for sleep issues related to anxiety.I did not take it evey night and had no problems doing so. As is so often the case the .05 stopped being effective so I upped it to 1 mg.I quickly discovered that if I did not take it every night I had withdrawl. I researched the Ashton method but it seems to be more suited for those on high dosages taken throughout the day.I asked my dr for an equivalent dose of diazepam.I am currently taking 10mg at night which is equivalent to the .05 of xanax,so I am back to the lower dose.Iplan a very slow 1mg reduction and see how it goes. My main problem is extreme fatigue, some days are better than others. I have been on the diazapam for 10 days. My question is is this a common reaction and does it get better with time? 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

According to what I have read from others, it takes awhile for the sedating effect of Valium to wear off, it will, just give yourself time to adjust to the valium before you start tapering down. With Valium you will need to go slow from 5mg and downwards especially, see this as a process and not a race, see each mg tapered as a milestone and take breaks and often, allow the body to adjust fully, if you feel especially bad, this is usually a case of being too far ahead of your own ability to adjust so take your time.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. I also have PMR and am on steriods . I learned agreat deal about reduction due to this condition, and believe me steroids are addictive to the body also, complete with withdral, although nothing like benzos. Any idea as to how long to stay on the 10 before reducing? As I stated I have been on this for 10 days.Again thank you
    • Posted

I am not a doctor so I am not qualified to say but I would think 4 weeks at least.
  • Posted

I am on 3/4 mg xanax. I have been slowly tapering down for a year. My dr. had me on 3mg per day. I started on my own to reduce. I was afraid he would cut down too quickly. This is crazy but I have an important appointment on Thursday.....then I am going to try .25. I tried last week and realized I was not ready. This is the biggest medical mistake I have made in my life. I wish I had known how hard it was to stop. No way could I stop 'cold turkey'. Don't want to be sweating and shaking for the appointment. I understand Valium is almost as hard to stop. Good luck to us and may we have learned our lesson.

• Posted

Edna I switched from xanax to valium because it is supposed to be easier to wd from via the Ashton method time will tell so far I have been on 10mg at night the only problem I am having is fatigue and not enough sleepI sleep 3 hours or so then sort of twilight sleep but I do not want io increase dosage.Oh well stay the course.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.