Valium Cold Turkey Withdrawal - should I reinstate

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi,

I (very stupidly) went on 5mg of Valium at the end of Aigust 2019 after my knees were injured. i run my own business, didn't want to let my clients down & was finishing a course - i was working & commuting 3 hours a day & just wanted to be able to keep going. I was on valium for 5 months. I now see it was the most stupid decision I ever made.

Sometimes I took just 5mg at night, sometimes i took 10mg & once I took 15mg when a very stressful event happened. Sometimes I didn't take it for a day & sometimes I took it 2 - 3 times a week, I started to taper off it in November bit didn't research it properly & was cutting down by 25% - 50% & was tapering erratically. I then went babk on the full 5mg dose & the valium wasn't doing anything to help my anxiety & physical symptoms set in - which I mistook for the Flu or a virus. After a Vitamin C transfusion 5 weeks ago I stopped cold turkey. I had checked with two doctors & my psychologist & all 3 said it was ok to stop the Valium & it would be 2 weeks until the valium was out of my system.

I experienced some insomnia but it wasn't until 12 days later thar the full impact of withdrawal set in. I've had some "windows" of feeling kind of normal - the last one lasted for nearly two days - it was heaven. Then the "waves" come with a slew of physical symptoms - the worst for me are the crunching headaches, the dizziness, the fatigue, the tight & sore muscles. The psychological symptoms are the hardest for me to deal with - the crippling anxiety, the de-personilization, the de-realisation.

I have now been off Valium, cold Turkey, for 5 weeks, its been 3 and a half weeks since the bad withdrawal started. Should I re-instate, stabilize & then slowly Taper using the ashton method. I've researched & it's not at all recommended to re-instate if you are 4 weeks or more since your last dose. I'm wanting to get back to "normal" to be functioning & feel like myself ASAP. Help! any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Bess,

i was wondering how your feeling now? Still feeling any side effects?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.