Valsartan Recall

Posted , 4 users are following.

Any info regarding the Valsartan Recall.

I have been on Valsartan for a long time, and Solco was the provider, which is on the recall list. My question is this just a manufacturing issue, or a valsartan problem. I called the pharmacy and he provided me a new supply from the manufacturer Aurobindo, which is not on the recall list.

Thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

johnlortz...I'm in Canada...& of course, it has affected us here too as it has with millions of other people in Europe, the U.K, etc.etc...but not the U.S. 

From what I understand, the issue is the manurfacturing...some contaminant got into the "recipe"...& it's thought to have the potential to cause cancer. I think the best person to ask if your particular medication is affected would be your Pharmacist. I was taking Valsartan last November..just for a month, but I was told by my pharmacist that the contamination doesn't go that far back, AND I was on a 'combination'...meaning that I had the ingredient plus a diuretic..which wasn't affected. 

Allowing important medications to be manufactured in China is irresponsible. One could say this incident could have happened anywhere, but this must stop. I don't see why our medicines can't be manufactured in our own country were there are stringent laws. 

Check with your doctor...

• Posted

I live in the US, and it has affected us as well. I did talk to my pharmacist and he said it was isolated to the companies who manufacturs in the China plant, so he provided me with a refill from another company (Aurobibdo), which does not use the manufacturer affected listed. I have been on this med for years, and Solco company has been my main provider for a while. Hopefully everything works out just fine. 
    • Posted

johnlortz...Hello again....Strange though, I was told the U.S. was not affected. From what you say..this is not accurate. In any event this pertains to companies manufacturing in the China plant.Regardless, I fail to understand why such big countries such as ours...& we certainly have the resources...permit medicines to be manufactured off shore like this. We have very stringent laws about ingredients, etc.etc.etc.etc. My pharmacist stated that the contamination is very recent...so very likely what you were taking quite a while ago is not affected. 

Some pharmacists are providing patients with a different manufacturer's Valsartan, while others are referring them back to physicians. This whole thing is scary...but again, people have been strongly advised not to stop taking their meds. 

It will be interesting to find out just how much longer we'll have to wait for the final results of all of this..& what is being done about it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.