Valtrex (Valcyclovir) & strong urine smell?

Posted , 14 users are following.

I've been on Valcyclovir for almost 2 months now & it's been fantastic compared to the nightmare I suffered with Alcyclovir. That medicine made me suicidal & completely changed my thinking pattern. I thought I had the flu for a month because I was so nauseous I'd throw up almost everyday. Anyway, since I started Val. my urine, especially in the morning, has had a ridiculously strong smell of asparagus. I'm prone to UTIs so I went to my Dr and I was negative for any UTI which leads me to believe it is the medication. I drink a gallon of water religiously everyday but the smell is still there even with my urine being clear from the water. Has anybody else had this happen? I can't find anything online!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I took this for my first outbreak for HSV 1. I was in so much pain and so uncomfortable, that I didn't notice an oder at all. And I was so upset and stressed about the diagnosis, I couldn't tell you if the medication caused depression or the stress of the diagnosis.
  • Posted

If you Google Valtrex or valacyclovir and urine odour, there are results, so I guess it does have that impact on some people.
  • Posted

I have a strong odor and discharge, doctors keep telling me not herpes related but it is
    • Edited

Hey , did you ever by chance figure out how to get rid of the herpes related odor and discharge cause ive had tge same issue and tried almost everything!! Any insight would be appreciated.☺

• Posted

Hi Lucy. I've been taking VAL daily (1x500 mg) for about 5 months. Prior to that I was taking it only when I had an outbreak. Since going into menopause I started to get outbreaks much more frequently (previously I could go for years without an OB). My doctor asked me to keep track of my OBs and they were happening about once a month!

The last two happened almost back to back do I had a lot of this medication in my system. That's when my urine started to smell like asparagus (or ammonia-like).

Since switching to the daily dose, I've had no recurrence (outbreaks) but I still have that really stinky pee! My doctor has done blood work, urine tests, I've been to my OBGyn, and apparently I am fine. Like you I drink a lot of water but that makes no difference.

I think it's a combination of hormonal changes and the ever present drug. But I'm no doctor.

However, in my opinion, for me, the benefits outweigh the stinky pee.

Just a thought...maybe eating asparagus will counteract and our pee will have no smell. 😊

• Posted

Hi Liane, i just realized that this was written 6 years ago. But i thought maybe you still belong to the forum and can give me some suggestions. I am having issues just taking the valtrex for the 3 days and stopping when i get an outbreak. So my Dr. recommeneded the daily suppressive of 1 (500 mg) tab a day. You stated that it worked for you at least for the 5 months. I am kinda hesitent todo this but i need some relief. I also have an auto immune and am post menopausal so my Dr. did tell me that even for that reason for me to try. Not sure if you are still on the valtrex but if you can give me any suggestions on what worked for you , maybe it will help me also. Thank you.

• Posted

Hi. I'm on Acyclovir/Zovirax 200mg daily over at least the last decade i think. Also trulicity weekly and lipitor. Also post menopausal. It seems as if when I removed some other meds, the smell increased. so maybe your theory on asparagus isn't off. Maybe the medicines I stopped taking were helping to cover up or counter the smell. Who knows.

• Posted

im currently on valacyclovir 1g but i dont have strong urine smell.. hows the medication going for you? do you experience outbreak on the medication? i do! im trying to see if anyone else does

• Posted

Yes! Exactly the same as you. The Valtrex website does mention renal a few times but its too complex to understand if your not a pharmacist. I'll try and find out more as it could be cause for concern. I dontt want to stop taking it as its given me a new lease of life after 30 years

• Posted

I am taking valtrex for shingles. I am experiencing same issue with strong urine order even though I am drinking plenty of water.

• Posted

Yes, i have been having the same issue with a strong urine smell. I drink plenty of water but my urine always smells musky. I could never figure out what was causing it until just recently when I stopped the medication. Guess what? Strong smell is gone. I started looking at the side effects of this medication and there is a lot about kidney/renal problems. I am going back on the medicine but at least I know what is causing my urine to stink. I'm also noticing I feel happier now that I'm off the medicine too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.