Variable heart rate

Posted , 8 users are following.

Resting heart rate went down to the 40's this morning (lowest was 31 & 33 bpm).

I didn't taken my beta-blocker (Atenolol) today as it was prescribed

for tachycardia (with resting heart rate at up to 122 - as it has been over the last couple of weeks or so).

Was just wondering whether I should be concerned about this new development ... or just relax & ignore it. (Have had 3 ablations, 3 cardioversions, now possibly in AF, tachycardia or atrial flutter).   Has anyone else experienced such variation &, if so, what did you do ?

best wishes,

Zena

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello, Zena!  I haven't had this myself but a friend has.  I have been told that a heart rate of less than 42 per minute requires medical attention.  Can you ring your GP or consultant and ask for their opinion?  Would suggest asap!  

P,s I think you are right in not taking the beta blocker, but only until you have medical advice,

good luck and take care,

Pam

• Posted

My heart rate was in the 40's for about 12 years with lows in the high 30's.  I felt better then than now that I have a pacemaker that does not let it go below 60 bpm.

When I was having my pacemaker fitted another patient getting one had been happily living with a heart rate of 26bpm. It was only found when he went for pre-assessment prior to a hip replacement

• Posted

Good to hear - I've always got mixed looks when they see 44-48 heart rates - why a pacemaker?

• Posted

Good question! In AF and low heart rate plus 3.25 second pauses between beats at times.

When having Pacemaker checks at two different hospitals the technicians doing them said that they though I had not really needed one and that the pauses were mainly when asleep.

Also I was supposed to have a dual chamber one but they fitted a single chamber one. If you get one make sure that it is MRI compatible and a Medtronic one. I was given a Boston Scientific one and the hospital where it was fitted and most other hospitals in the South East and London had not agreed a protocol for scanning them then in July 2015 and are only beginning to now.

• Posted

Hi, my heart rate is permanently on the early to mid forties since adding Flecainide (200 mg daily) to my assortment of medication (which includes the beta blocker Atenolol) My doc is quite comfortable about this, and it doesn't make any difference to my ability to function normally. I have had these disgusting ectopics for 40 plus years on and off (more on than off these days despite my medication), I have never to this day found a satisfactory way to rid myself of them permanently. Bear wishes, Donald

• Posted

Hi Donald,  You're probably a bit of an expert as you've had ectopics for 40+ years. I expect you've tried magnesium but with no luck ???   I seem to find that it leads to a smoother hr - though i've only been trying it for just over a month, so early days yet.  Seems to prevent even a tachycardic heart beat jumping all over the place - which does feel dreadfully uncomfortable - shows up very well on a Oximeter I got a while ago. best wishes,

• Posted

Dear Zena

My heart rate has been vaeiable for many years but just recently has been getting slower and slower. Each time it has gone down from 60 to 50 to 40 I have been told thats ok. The other day it went down to 33 but not evenly so I went to a and e and they said there was nothing they could do for me but it can go as low as 30 provided you haven't gone into shock.

Good luck for the future.

Gap

• Posted

Hi Zena,  it is my understanding that to address AFIB they usually prescribe 2 beta blockers..  One is to regulate ( such as Fecainide/ prepafenone) and the other is to prevent the high heart rate... such as Bisoprolol, deltiazem...  So I quit my "high heart rate blocker" and stayed on the flecainide ... works good for me .. but then I don't have a real danger of tachycardia although it occurs very occasionally.  The bisoprolol lowers my hear to the 30's ... no good.. my resting heart rate is 48.   So you could ask your doctor if you can quit on the atenolol and carry on with whatever other regulator drug you are on I guess.  ??  I haven't had ablation or cardioversion yet. 

• Posted

Hi Roper, thanks for taking time to respond. I find this website is very helpful.  I have been on Flecainide for several years, & felt fine with it, but discovered it was causing long QT & at present we're waiting to find out if it is implicated in kidney/liver damage that has just emerged in serum tests, hence the (recent) switch to Atenolol. I'm pleased to hear that you manage, though, on a rhr of 48 - that is very reassuring. For myself, I don't really expect my low hr to last very long, as I'm generally in AF or tachycardia. But at least the bradycardia is more restful. I'm a bit at the end of the road with drugs: was on Amiodarone for a long time (dreadful drug), Sotalol, and at one time on Diltiazem, which the doctors, for one reason or another, didn't like (I forget why), but which I thought I got on well with. I wish you well ... my second cardioversion was successful but got wrecked by dental anaesthetic incorporating adrenaline after just over one year in sinus rhythm. Such a waste of all the doctors' time & effort & leading to the ablations I then had.  I just mention that, so others can ensure they always insist on dental anaesthetic w/o adrenalin (epeniphrine) ... you all need to watch out for yourselves !

Wish you all the best, 

• Posted

Thanks for the adrenaline tip- who knew ?? Seems like this might be a narrow road - with a few missing road signs - Thanks for the notes - wish you the best
    • Posted

I made sure that my dentist has it on my notes not to use the adrenalin one.
  • Posted

Sorry Pam, Donald, Gap,  I didn't see your comments until after I'd replied at

(probably too much) length to Roper.  Pam, given that others are managing on

low hr I will sit on it for a bit ... my doctor's surgery is closed on Thursday afternoons anyway. It was reassuring to read Donald & Gap's contributions also.

I wish you all well,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.