Varicocele Embolization

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, Has anyone had Varicocele Embolization done using mesh coils?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I did a long time ago though. It worked great. They used nester platinum coils not mesh though.

• Posted

Hi Tom61213, Can I ask a couple of questions please. Did you suffer pain in one or both testicles (left or right), did you also get pain down your legs into your feet? When did you have your varicocele embolisation done, are you still pain free now?

• Posted

Check out other threads here on that. Looks like there can be possible complications and several people here in forum recommend embolization without coils.

• Posted

Well I chickened out, I postponed the varicocele embolization procedure.

The radiologist even phoned me yesterday evening to discuss the risks, what a lovely man he is.

He said that he has never had a patient come back with worst pain after the procedure, he said the only real side effect that he is aware of is the coils may cause inflammation, but this normally disappears over time with use of anti-inflammatory medication.

He said we do this procedure all the time and its a success, he done his best to reassure me, but still I couldn’t help think that having metal coils left in the gonadal veins was a good idea, so I cancelled the appointment.

In the meantime I’m still in pain with my testicles, I cant help but think that today could have been a success, that I could have got my life back if I went ahead.

• Posted

Hi, sorry for the slow reply. I had a bilateral varicocele that was causing significant pain. The embolization was a great success for me. I'm still pain free over 10 years later. I'm sure with any procedure you are going to face risks. As for worring about the metal in your body it's such a small amount they use it's really not worth worrying about. It's about the same amount as a paper clip. Just think about all the procedure that are done using metal surgical clips like gall bladder removals, appendix removal etc. Some people have metal plates and pins in their bodies from operations. The coils when compared to bare metal stents used for heart operations are tiny too. When I spoke to the radiologists who did my procedure he had done them since the 80s and never had any significant complications. it's also worth remembering you are more likely to hear the negative side online rather than the positives. One final thing to mention is that I had a low sperm count and I was worried about being infertile and my count increased after the procedure. All this being said you have to do what's right for you. It depends on how bad the pain is.

• Posted

Hi tom61213, thank you for your reply. I do sort of regret not going through with the embolisation, it may have worked for me and I could be pain free now, just like you. I can still re-book the embolization, so I'm still thinking about it. Can I ask why you had the varicocele embolisation, did you have ache/pain in your testicles, one or both? Did you get pain down your legs?

• Posted

Hi tom61213, thank you for your reply. I do sort of regret not going through with the embolisation, it may have worked for me and I could be pain free now, just like you. I can still re-book the embolization, so I'm still thinking about it. Can I ask why you had the varicocele embolisation, did you have ache/pain in your testicles, one or both? Did you get pain down your legs?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.