Varicocele Weird, I'm just 13, all you lot are much older

Posted , 3 users are following.

Everyone i know who has a varicocele is over 25 at least. And i've had this thing for a few years now, but was embarassed to tell anyone. I've told people now though. My GP said it was really big etc. and i'd need surgery. Then i had an ultrasound and they told me it was really small, nothing to worry about.

I'm Just wondering if it's common for people my age to get them, or if i'm just unlucky!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

yeah, i had one when I was really young too. My mate didn't get his til recently (we're 20 now). So i guess some of us are just unlucky. I'm about to get it embolized tho, which will be great. I'd advise getting it taken out. you're lucky to find out now that you have one. I didn't know what was wrong with me til recently, and the heat from the varicocele has caused shrinking of the left testicle. Get yours removed soon if you can!
  • Posted

I got mine when i was around 12 i didnt know what was wrong, i went to the doctor and he told me i had worms in my balls and i was like what? then said i had varicocele and said it was fine. I am worried if i am infertile o.O
  • Posted

My son aged twenty died in November 2008 from a pulmonory embolism

(blood clot in his lung) this originated in a varicocele which moved to his pelvis then moved to his lung. He died within 30 minutes. He had been seen by our GP referred to hospital and seen twice there and discharged with no treatment. I urge anyone with a varicocele to have it removed.

Our lives are devastated.

• Posted

How could ppl die because of varicocele? I can see the only possibility is that the embolic agent - a coil moves up to the lung and causes the death, varicocele itself is just a group of varicosed vein inside scrotum is not movable.
  • Posted

I had mine embolized to get rid of it. 
  • Posted

Hi i have been diagnos with traumatic varicocele because i had injury when my dumb friend pull my left testicle. i have been in a pain for 2 month and the surgeon suggest me for surgery. i'm really in a dilemma because the pain sometimes come and go where it makes me thought that do i really need a surgery..can the varicocele go away on its own. i'm 24 and still a virgin,  i read a lot of reseacrh paper about the surgery and also the horror story after the surgery and some cases that loose their testicle. i'm a bit worry because never had this kind of situation in my life that i'll be go through a surgery because i dun like cut to my body. please someone give me some advice, opinion or anything that can help me with my decision on surgery for next appointment with my surgeon.

tq.

• Posted

Hi Matt, sadly they don’t go away on their own. You have to get the surgery if you want to be rid of it. I suffered in pain for a few years before I had mine treated. I was also terrified of being infertile.  I had the surgery first and the recovery was pretty rough also the varicocele just reoccurred. I then had a varicocele embolization after the urologist recommended it.  Embolization was a much easier procedure and in my case a more successfull one.  It depends how much pain you are in though as to whether I would get anything done. I think mine was caused by heavy weight training and I used to be very uncomfortable after training. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.