Varicose veins and leg swelling

Posted , 3 users are following.

Some info: 30 y/o female with varicose veins (due to family history, 2 previous pregnancies, and overweight)

I'm currently trying to lose weight and I have just started working a job that requires a lot of sitting at a desk. It's a part time job so thankfully it's not every day. 

I noticed when I work, my calves feel tight at the end of the day. The first day, I went home and did a cardio workout and immediately felt the swelling go down. 

I have a prescription for compression stockings, but I lost it so I'm considering calling my dr back and asking her if she could write me a new one. 

My question is: is compression the only way to cope with this? I try to walk around as much as I can during the day, but it doesn't seem to do much. 

Also I'm constantly worried about DVT. I've had several ultrasounds done and each time they say my deep vein system looks good. The swelling adds to my anxiety as well as from time to time I feel pain in my varicose veins. 

What's the prognosis for this? I know I'm young so I'm worried this is just going to get worse and worse and limit me more and more. 

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

You need to get the compression stocking, I was told to even wear them on short trips, walking 30 mi a day is what I was told to do, I had leg pain as well as the swelling, I've had two vein surgery's and several ultrasounds because of pain. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.