Varicose Veins in very active elderly people

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 71 and a competitive runner. On my left leg just above the ankle there is a venous bulge. It has been there at least 6-7 years. It occasionally gets really big as if it is about to pop out of its skin, and then the veins on the left side of the foot also bulge. It is not painful. Just wondered if anyone has had something similar and if it is worth getting it cut out? Elevating the leg immediately makes the bulge drain away so I suspect there is a problem there. Many Thanks. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Endovenous Laser Therapy (EVLT) is an advanced non-surgical treatment medical technology to treat superficial venous insufficiency. This technique has been used for over a decade and since 2005 it is considered to be the Gold Standard for the elimination of venous insufficiency and large varicose veins. It usually takes less than 15 minutes from the start of the procedure until it is completed. To prevent discomfort during the procedure use a local anaesthesia similarly to the one used in a dental office. Because of its minimally-invasive nature, an EVLT procedure will not interrupt your normal daily routine. You will be able to resume your normal activities immediately after Endovenous Laser Therapy treatment.
    • Posted

usaveinclinics, your post does sound rather like a sales pitch! I don’t know if you have had EVLT but you make it sound as if you are just going shopping. The laser can cause burning, although there is the radio frequency possibility as well, which seems as good. The local anaesthetic can be quite painful and my procedure was supposed to be pretty quick at 20 Minutes. After a few days your leg can become quite painful and the surgeon warned me of this. I did wear a stocking for few days too. I do agree it is a great improvement on the stripping of veins though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.