Varied symptoms - cancer scare

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all, I am new to this forum as I am very nervous about my condition. Some background first. I was a smoker for 20  years. from late teens to mid 30's. By the time I quit, I was smoking 2 packs a day. 

When I smoked, I constantly got chest infections where I would cough up blood and other nasty stuff. But since I quit about 5 years ago, The chest infections have stopped coming, and my health has improved.

About a year ago, I started spitting up blood, it happened quite often, usually in the morning when I waked up. and I got worried, and went to the doctor. He checked my chest, said it sounded fine, and had an x-ray taken. Again, it was all clear. He said that my gums could have gingivitis (not sure of the spelling) but when I brush my teeth, I usually get gum bleeds, so I assumed it was that.

It's always remained in the back of my mind especially since I was a heavy smoker for such a long time. But since the doctor gave the all clear, I forgot about it and stopped thinking about it.

Now, this week, out of the blue, I got a rash just below my right ribcage. It is extremely painful, and so went to see the doctor. (I have since moved, so this is a totally new doctor). It turns out that I have shingles. He said it's a reactivation of the chicken pox virus, and usually occurs due to weakened immune system. 

I did my own research on the net, and found that the most likely causes of weakened immune system is HIV virus or Cancer. I am not so concerned about HIV, as I know no one who has it, but here is the cancer boogey man popping up his head again, and it's given me a big scare again, and I cant stop thinking I may have this.

In addition to the shingles (and this has been happening for a few months now) is that when I am having a shower, I always spit up blood. I don't know why I never mentioned it to my doctor, but it freaks me out everytime I see it. I sort of have convinced myself that its the gums again, but am not sure what to do.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Shingles happen randomly in old age regardless of a weakened immune system , but you really have to worry about spitting blood, go get a chest and neck scan.

If you brush properly and daily your gums will stop bleeding

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.