Varifocals after cataract surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

I opted for a two dioptre difference between my eyes after cataract surgery. My unoperated eye has a small cataract which doesn't affect vision.

The operated eye had developed a white cataract plus had started to wander ie not looking the same way as the good eye.Got used to sight in one eye. Plus partial sight for about two years.

Post surgery I struggled to get used to my new vision.The operated eye is working but had several sea sick moments . Distant glasses were eventually OK.

I've worn varifocals for about ten years and have loved them. Two opticians told me that they would no longer work. Persuaded one to give  them to me  and they are  now OK if sitting still. Very disorientating if moving in a busy place. Not good for work as I am a teacher.

Got re referred back to the hospital. Surgeon was quite aggressive but now confused as to the reason varifocals no longer work.He said that the lense itself ,monofocal,meant that varifocals wouldn't work, claimed that varifocals were a money making scheme. I wanted to say that I had been to two opticians but didn't get the chance.He eventually offered to do my good eye in order to make them match. I still feel unsure what to do. Didn't have a proper conversation with the surgeon..

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

i have had double vision in my left eye since march 9th i was told it would go away wwithin a few weeks well it hasn't yet my regular eye doctor told me the same so my primary doctor gave me a referral to see another doctor and i did i am just waiting for the results he did some blood work  sometimes it pays to get another opinion i just wanted to wait but i could not wait any longer.  it happens in the morning and sometimes during theday i had my left eye done in february no problem  she told me the blood vessel in my right eye burst and that is why this has happened.  it does not seem right at all so i did what i should have done a long time ago second opinion. i just hope that this eye did not get damaged in any way this new doctor said i donot need more surgery so i am dying tofind out what he is going to do.
  • Posted

Dear Betty

i wisch to know how old you are ! My advise to you  try your best to discuss with your doctor he knows you and your case better .

By accepting to get 2 diopters more in one  you catters for your  near vision in a way

Ounce that is corrected varifocals hardly help

i agree and understand that you  will have serionus difficulties as a teacher  Glasses are bound to move on your face .If this small dynamics disturb your vision your glasses are in no way good .

Go back to your physician calm down he will help you accordingling

what is the causes of your cataracts

regards

Epee

• Posted

I thought my surgery was a bad job. Yours is worse, if I knew before surgery what I

know now, I wouldn't have had the surgery. I was better off before.

I can't imagine being in your position. Wish you lots of luck.

• Posted

The issue is likely that when you need different strength lenses for each eye, anisometropia, that the lenses lead to different size images coming to each eye, aniseikonia.  People vary in their tolerance to aneisokonia, often people can tolerate 2 diopters difference, but not everyone. They can make special glasses that try to compensate for the difference in magnification between the 2 eyes, which is more difficult with progressive lenses (oops, in the US we use the phrase  "progressive glasses" for what the UK calls varifocals) but can be done. Often surgeons don't deal with the details of getting eye glasses made so they may not have knowledge of this, you may need to try talking to good optical shops and see if they know about the issue of dealing with aneisokonia for progressive glasses. As I mentioned, the difference between your eyes is one that many can tolerate so it could be that where you got your current glasses understands the issue but didn't think it would be an issue in your case.

Usually the point of getting a difference between the eyes, monovision, is not to need glasses usually so I'm not sure why you want varifocals. If you are doing extended work at near you might consider either just single focus glases that correct both eyes for near, or lined bifocals which might be less confusing to use than progressives. 

Another option would be to consider multifocal contact lenses, since contact lenses are close enough to the eye that there isn't much image magnification difference betwene the two eyes.  I suspect since you mention glasses that you don't like contacts, though I'll note that many folks that haven't tried contact lenses in the last decade or two might wish to try them since the lenses are much more comfortable than they used to be.

• Posted

iwent for a second opinion  over a week ago he took blodd and told me when he gets the results he would call me i asked him if i may need surgery and he sid no.  i sure would like to know what he is going to do.  i had to go for a second opinion because my primary care suggested it. he thinkssince march 9th is too long so i did.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.