Various Symptoms - Not Sure What Going On

Posted , 2 users are following.

About 4 months ago I started having chest pain on the left side of my chest. The pain was mainly an aching/squeezing and not really a burning. I went to the ER and did bloodwork, a chest x-ray, and EKG that all came back normal. I then went to a cardiologist and did cholesterol bloodwork, EKG stress test, and echocardiogram. Everything came back normal with some slight mitral valve prolapse noticed on the echo. 

Since the pain first started, the pain has spread to not only the left chest but also sometimes the central chest and right chest. In addition, I’ve had some abdominal tenderness at times on both sides of my belly button/rib area and sometimes have an aching in my mid back near my lats - almost like a contraction feeling. I did an abdomen CT but everything came back normal.

The last 3 weeks I’ve also started to have a headache almost every day. Lately it feels like a pressure towards the back of my head and neck pressure/tightness. I had a couple of instances where I felt light headed and once felt light headed with chest squeezing. I went to the ER for more bloodwork and came back with elevated bilirubin. My GI doctor wants to do a scan to check my gallbladder to see if that could be causing the problems. Has anyone had any similar symptoms or any suggestions? This has been every day for 4 months which is becoming tiresome. I am currently just seeing a cardiologist and GI doctor.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi robert19065, How r you doing now ?  First ask yourself if you're taking any medications or vitamins and then check into side effects of them both.  Also, have you injured your muscles or overused them ?  Do you have any vitamin  deficiencies ?  I thought that bilirubin was associated with the liver so shouldn't the doctor be doing scan on your liver ?  I'm asking because I have been suffering with symptoms (most are gone now) for over 9 months and my liver blood work came back elevated which shouldn't be the case.  My doctor said the numbers would have to be double what they were before he'd be worried, but I don't agree with his logic/thinking...why wait until something is seriously wrong before doing a liver scan or what ever it is they do to check out the liver...I also believed the blood pressure medications could be causing my cardiac symptoms so I weaned off of one (doctor knew about it)  and slowly the muscle weakness went away and I still have some general numbness all over but I think It can be mold in the house or another Blood pressure medication or something i'm allergic to...I realized too I had over used and injured chest muscles, arm and elbows which can cause chest pain for a long time...I know having medical symptoms and all that's associated with it can cause panic which can do a number on the mind and body so maybe you also have some anxiety as would be normal since you want to figure out why you don't feel well.  You had the bulk of the testing done for your heart so that's good and maybe it's just a minor thing causing you all this stress...I realized it is the refrigerator making me feel off balance and like motion sick and this also affects my mother too...the motor is ridiculously  loud and not running properly and the sound and vibrations are going thru out the house making me think i'm dizzy when it's actually the refrigerator malfunctioning...think about your environment as well because I learned environment causes some ailments including the people we associate with...I'm sure you'll be fine and I hope you go down your check list to see what you yourself can come up with...maybe ask the doctor to check your vitamin d level and other vitamin levels..if anything is off it can cause havoc with our bodies Good luck Robert and take it easy...Wish you all the best...

• Posted

It's an interesting one - I'm on amlodipine 5mg for high BP - and currently have a sinus infection, but for the last 7/8 days have had chest pain at the bottom of my sternum, and under my left breast.  It doesn't get worse or I don't even feel it when I exercise; I went spinning on the bike today where my HR went up to 160 with no adverse effects, and even had an ECG and blood tests/x-rays on Sunday which all came back clear.  I can't work out what it is, which is what causes the worry! Any ideas welcome!

• Posted

blag72, Hi...from my own experience with Lisinopril  and metoprolol (blood pressure meds.) it is very likely that the medications are causing the problems. .  I have never seen anything like it in my life.  Everyone is having adverse, strange side effects from their blood pressure medications...Lisinopril gives me chest and breast pain if I take over 10mg as well as labored breathing.  It also exacerbates any old injury pain.  I think it's because partly the blood vessels are widening and the heart isn't working as hard and the blood may not be getting to every place sufficiently.  That's my non doctor conclusion. I got numbness and tingling and muscle weakness and tightness with all the BP meds I've tried.  I did try amlodipine with a diuretic and I ended up in the hospital with really high BP and salt deficiency probably because I was watching my salt a little too much I think and I drink a lot of water too...Call your doctor and tell him about the pain in your chest.  I find my doctor is very loyal to most medications and has a look of scorn on his face when I tell him about any side effects...stick to your guns and maybe try another medication and you can also have that pain checked out; are you coughing a lot; coughing can cause pain in the chest...These BP meds do have a lot of side effects; just a fact...the chest pain is very scary though and I read all the time that people who are healthy get chest pain when taking BP meds, but you should tell your doctor and have it checked out...Have you considered just changing diet to bring blood pressure down ?  I'm weaning off Lisinopril because it's killing me and my doctor won't change it; he said there's nothing else I can take and I know he's not correct on that statement...Good luck and get better...PS:  my side effects from taking BP meds didn't start right away; they crept up months later so I was confused as to what was happening to me, but it was the meds...

• Posted

Thanks for your comment - I had a few side effects with amlodipine at the start - dry cough and headaches, but seem to tolerate well at the moment, or so I think.  My sinus infection did bring with it a few days of heavy coughing, which I know could have caused the chest pain.  It doesn't seem to be getting much worse, but it's still there.  I made the mistake of taking decongestants with my high BP which sent it up towards 200!

• Posted

blag72, you're welcome and yes, be extremely careful when taking any other meds or supplements with blood pressure meds or any medication...that's a high number and I have reached beyond that; not that I'm proud of it...I had to take my mother to the hospital because she took I-bprofen for back pain and that sent her BP up too...have to be really careful with these meds and interactions. Also, make sure your doc does regular blood work when taking BP medications...electrolytes need to be watched; salt and potassium and liver enzymes and not sure what else, but the doctor knows...my doctor put me on a low salt diet and it didn't turn out well for me so watch out for that too....always ask the doctor and pharmacist on the interactions and look it up yourself..that's what I do...still, have the pain checked out if you can and good luck; you got your heartrate up there where as i'm doing deep breathing to get my heart rate down and the deep breathing does work for me; just have to be patient...I would tell the doc or have some tests done to check out that chest pain just to be safe...take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.