Vascular dementia

Posted , 3 users are following.

My mum has vascular dementia for 6 years now she has been on dementia tablets for 6 years and now just been put on tablets they use to stop smoking aparantly it makes your makes the mind  more sharper (she dose not smoke ) it takes a month to get into the system she only started 3days ago is anyone else on this and have they noticed a difference thankyou I am new to the group 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Dear susan41692,

First of all, ma'am, welcome to the forum.  It's always nice to have new 'faces' appear. ;-)

Although I don't suffer with any form of dementia myself, and I don't know anyone that does suffer with dementia directly, what I can say is that I used to work with people suffering different types of dementia and would love for you to tell us which specific anti-smoking drug it is that your mum has been prescribed.  I'd love to check out what the 'experts' say about how this medication "makes your mind more sharper".

What I CAN tell you is that smoking DOES impair the thought processes in people in vascular dementia.  This occurs due to how it 'thickens' the blood, and adds contaminants to the blood flow, particularly to areas such as the brain, due to how fine the blood vessels are there.

I'm sure you're already aware of the risks involved in people that do suffer with dementia who smoke.  They are MORE LIKELY to have 'accidents' with things such as not knowing that they'd lit a cigarette, not extinguishing it properly, or improperly placing it ... somewhere they're not meant to, etc.

A number of the types of medication to which you refer are what are called "systemic" drugs, which means it takes time for the dosage to build up in the person's system, which is why they've explained it takes a month to get into your mum's.

Would you mind letting us know which "dementia tablets" and anti-smoking tablets it is that are being given to your mum?  It does help for us to find out more information, but if you're not comfortable in sharing that information, you won't be denied help that people may be able to offer.

Lots of Love and Light.

Mick

x x x x

x x x

P.S. Please don't be offended, or alarmed at the 'x's'.  It's merely a logo, of sorts, that I've used for about 40 years now.

• Posted

Thankyou for your reply the dementia tablets my mum is on are galantamine and the no smoking tablets they give her are zyban she has never smoked and love your logo x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.