Vasectomy 1 month on

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a vasectomy a month ago and am still having pain in my left testicle. when having the procedure done the right side was snipped in 5 minutes no problem at all but the surgeon had problems finding the left one and spent 3/4 of an hour on it causing a fair bit of pain. the left side has been painful continuous although after 3 weeks it felt like it was starting to heal. Now i am a month on from the procedure and the pain seems to be getting worse. it almost feels like there is no free play on the left side and even going to urinate hurts the left side when lifting penis . walking sitting and standing up is a struggle to say the least. Does anyone have any advice and is it still early days to complain.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

Wow, wtf was the Dr doing for 45 minutes?

Vasectomy is a terrible decision, sorry to hear that.

Perhaps you should go to the Dr again, let him check what he did wrong

• Edited

Good luck with the doctor .. i got the line "your pain is nothing to do with the vasectomy" from the private clinic that performed the operation on behalf of the Health service. In short a "p*** o**. We don't care!! We've been paid"

During the initial consultation I was lied to ... the side effects were intentionally down played. "less than 1% etc etc ..."

I was also given the run around by the health service (incompetance? tell me if you were sent an appointment in your condition would you just not bother to turn up? I think not! My dentist has a more thorough appointment system than the local urology dept!!) When I attend a London teaching hospital and they eventually suggested cutting away half of my balls (this is where I was told that approximately 20% of men suffer issues at some point after a vasectomy) I decided to first go for a private reversal. That worked, but as advised by the surgeon only after several months, but it is not guaranteed. Nothing appears to be fast down there!

People at the moment are praising the NHS ... well i still remember how they treated me. As a result they have lost both a blood and organ donor.

I will have to be seriously ill to let anyone near me with a knife again (and that comes from someone who was married to a doctor).

In the mean time visit your GP .. he/she may put you on some powerful pain killers. (please note i was initially perscribed voltrol, but all that did was leave me with soggy balls all day) i look back and laugh now, but it was not fun y at the time. At least while on the pain killers I could finally get a few hours solid sleep.

good luck .. i hope you have a speedy and successful recovery.

• Edited

For me, vasectomy was one of the worst decisions I ever made.

Three years later I had the reversal done, and that helped some of the problems, but now I have Prostate cancer. So this is a whole new s**t show.

The bottom line of my story is that Dr only get trained to follow the prescribed methods. They don't have solutions, they are completely tied to follow what the book says. So, we as patients have to read and study and make decisions.

Btw, the reversal is way more painful than the vasectomy. It took two months to get back to some activities, and even three months later, it's still delicate.

Good luck to you.

• Posted

Hi, firstly I hope it goes better. If it not think about getting a reversal, like you I was told its "nothing much" The problem is these people are getting a living out of doing this op. so they tell us wrong, oh only less than 1% have problems!!!! Well I have seen up to 30% . This is a very sensitive area, sorry I am perhaps telling you something you already know.

For me, I too learnt the hard way, I believe this op should be discontinued. No wonder it is often called the cruel cut.

Good luck anyway

• Edited

The problem with all surgeries especially vasectomies is they are not being recorded to prove precisely what takes place in the event that a doctor makes a mistake or malpractice. It should be required by law that every surgery is recorded and a copy on disc is giving to every patient. In the event a patient notices something wrong after the surgery, doctor(s) (and patients) can recheck the entire surgery on disc that was performed to find if anything went wrong during the procedure.

I imagine you never had that surgery recorded so I recommend to ask your doctor for an MRCP. That is an MRI that shows the greatest details to find out what went wrong and why you have pain. If they refuse to give you an MRCP, file I complaint with the hospital or College of Physicians and explain you have the right to receive an MRCP due to the complication and pain that occurred after your vasectomy. Don't let them treat you that your problem is not important, it is very important and you have the right to find out why there is pain and what went wrong.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.