Vasectomy experience

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had my vasectomy done and I wanted to add my experience to a balanced discussion as usually only people who have problems complain. The doctor told me the risks and I went for the snip after consideration. Met a fellow patient whose grandfather and father had it done too and recommended it. We were nervous of course....who won't be? Now the love life is great no hormones or reduced sensation, no worries, no more expensive little ones, no nappy changes! All the wives waiting at the vasectomy clinic throughly supports it and I realised lots of colleagues had it done without problems...be warned they will take the mic out of you before you go for it. Throughly recommend it. No problems. Do consider the risks but life is risky. I took it and won.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I know 90% do go well. I am up to 2 years in pain, had 1 lot of additional surgery and am in for more soon.  I have been feeling rough for months and requested testosterone tests. I am now boarderline very low but the docs are hesitant to do anything. As a consequence this has put a huge strain on our marriage as my hormones arent working.

what GPs won't tell you are the risks. Mine said it was rare but when do you call 1 in 10 rare ?

• Posted

Like Ouchy I'm long term in pain - 18 months in my case - hopefully getting sorted with a reversal soon.

Again as Ouchy says when this goes wrong it puts huge strain on marriage.

You pays your money and you takes your choice - well actually you are denied choice as you are not told there is between a 5% and 30% chance of losing your sex life or your health

Glad it worked out for you though

• Posted

I get the occasional kick in the nuts pain but nothing that is a major problem.  May not happen for weeks then it might happen 10-15 times in an hour.

The biggest problem I have encountered and it is probably psychological is that I have trouble maintaining an erection since the vasectomy.  This does seem to be becoming less frequent but when I do manage it I get premature ejaculation.  The net result is that I get so worried about sex being an embarrassing failure I have taken to pretending I am asleep when the wife gets upstairs.  

Its only a matter of time before she jumps to the conclusion that I am having an affair. 

• Posted

Sorry to read about the problems with sex.

Did you ever suffer pain on erection or during/after ejaculation after the vasectomy? I only ask as I suppose it is possible that subconciously your mind might now be associating pain with sex and possibly giving you the problems you have.

23 months down the line and I still haven't had enough ejaculations for the all clear test yet.....and that's either through lack of interest in sex or through pain on erection / ejaculation putting me off.

• Posted

Glad to here everyyhing went OK . Did read that 2 things will make a man go into andropause 2 years earlyer on average . Childhood bullying and vacectomys . I can attest to the first . Just hope for all of you they are wrong about the second . Does seam ironic that while many of us were stressed out that we could not have more children , some of you are too fertile !
  • Posted

had my Vasectomy 3 years ago, and it took 12 months for me to be given the all clear that there was no sperms. Not sure why but was lucky as they proposed to try again to find out what was going on but fortunately it sorted itself.
  • Posted

Hi, hope you get on OK, but my snip was all right at first but the pains started several years on and just get worse each year. I now need regular pain killers and can`t sleep at night. THIS HAS TO BE THE MOST STUPID DECISION OF MY LIFE.

Helping with the contraception has to be good for both, just get used to condoms, because the snip is unexceptable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.