Vasectomy Reversal

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello Everyone.

I'm 30 years old. I had a vasectomy done 1 year ago. Since I had the vasectomy operation I'm having an significant chronic pain on a daily basis. Testicular ache and a sharp burning pain radiating up to my abdomen. it's a very unpleasant feeling constantly. I'm so afraid that I have to live with this pain for the rest of my life. I take pain killers every day, which I dont like. Other then that I do not have any underlying diseases or medical histories. 

I wish to get a vasectomy reversal with the goal of relieving my “post vasectomy pain” so I can live a normal life again. (I don't care if I become fertile again or not, I just want to get rid of the pain).

I heard that a vasectomy reversal relieves the build-up of back pressure that may cause pain in the testicles.

But for other patients, the pain is not due to back pressure, but rather to chronic inflammation at the vasectomy site. If the urologist cut out the inflammation site and reverse the vasectomy, the pain will usually be eliminated.

The pain may result from microscopic amounts of sperm leaking out of the vas deferens into the surrounding tissue. This leakage can cause inflammation. 

What if I have an inflammation ?. 

Will the urologist be aware of this and remove the inflammation before he performs the vasectomy reversal operation ?.

Any information's you may have would be appreciated. 

Thanks for reading this.

1 like, 59 replies

59 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thanks for your replies everyone. I appreciate your thoughts about this.

I don't expect that a vasectomy reversal will cure the pain or make anything better.

I know the chance is only 50 % 

I'm at the point where I live my life with out any expectations.

I'm having a lot of chronic pain on a daily basis. Testicular ache and a sharp burning pain radiating up to my abdomen its horrible.

I don't think it can get worse then it is now, so why not try the vasectomy reversal operation. 

Its not even sure if a vasectomy reversal can be performed.

For example if too much of the vas has been removed at vasectomy. Then there will not be a sufficient tube to perform the reversal. 

- But I guess the urologist can tell that by feeling on the testicles / scrotum ?. 

If my vas is leaking and I have and inflammation.

Then its not possible to remove the inflammation under the same operation or ?.

I mean can the urologist cut away the inflammation and make a vasectomy reversal in 1 operation ?.

I wish all you guys the best. We are all in the same boat and I feel with you.

Positive thoughts,

Nick.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link and pasted text from the specific website. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

They'll only do the op you're booked in for. So if you elect for reversal that's all they'll do and not cut away inflamed epi.

As you'd be paying for reversal and epidydectomy is free in NHS it wouldn't make financial sense to get private surgeon to remove epidymus.

I had thought of going for reversal first then if not successful then going for epidydectomy but was advised against that as scarring from reversal could drastically lower success rate of epidydectomy and increase risk of further pain and complications. Surgeon said it's one or the other.

Hence saying earlier think really hard about each option.

At best you can only hope to slightly reduce pain with any option.

Although when you're world is falling apart through pain I know you'll keep looking for options to reduce pain.

I'm still on high doses off morphine but GP had decided after 3 yrs on near palliative care doses they want to cut back on morphine and try duloxetine in low dose.

It's helping slightly but spikes of pain are crippling and effects of off morphine reduction are horrendous.

A lot of the meds they use to try and help can play hell with libido, testosterone and mood.

I'm so sorry you've found yourself in this hell

• Posted

The damage done is often nerve damage which can't be undone. I was going to get denervation done but have read things can be much worse.

I've had 4 months off sick with testicular pain in 3 years.

• Posted

How do I know if the pain is because of nerve damage or chronic inflamation ?.  I know it could be both. How are you doing now Ouchy ?. 
    • Posted

I've tried all sorts of drugs and the side effects are bad. Even asked the Urologist to cut them off as I ended up on testosterone replacement.

I'm no better. Got a fractured back at the end of last year and recovery slow. Stopped testosterone replacement as injections were painful after and I was already unstable.

Currently off long term sick and pain in nuts still bad as well as having a very painful back.

• Posted

Initially they stab in the dark...with previous research over decades they know bulk of cases is nerve damage.

In my case they weren't too sure...after epidydectomy didn't work they were then convinced it was nerve based hence then refusing to remove testicles as I'd requested.

With PVP they don't know how it is caused fully so every thing they do to try and resolve it is guesswork and taking shots in the dark.

Of course all this could be easily avoided if Drs were truly honest about risks posed

• Posted

PVP-ouch:

Im sorry to hear about that. 

So do you still consider getting your testicles removed, or are there any other options in your situation.

Do you experience pain 24/7 / constantly or does it come and go?. 

I hope the best for you.

Best regards, Nick.

• Posted

Ouchy:

Sorry but im not sure I understand what you mean.

How did you have 4 months off sick ?.

What did you do in those 3 months ?.

Thanks.

• Posted

Varying pain flare ups. 1 month sick with the snip, another 5 weeks with the epi and various pain flare ups oh and severe drug reactions.
    • Posted

I'd still prefer if they were removed. It might not help with the original PVP pain but it would eliminate pain from epidydectomy as they're sore all the time now .

Pain from the PVP is constant 24/7 but it does vary from dull ache which hurts but I can cope to crippling pain where I can't move and that crippling pain over 3 years has seen me take nearly a year off sick.

There are no surgical options left just a lifetime of meds.

Other than pain the hardest thing to deal with is loss of sex life and that really hurts.

• Posted

PVP-ouch:

Im so sorry to hear about this. Living with pain night and day aint fun. 

I hope the best for all of us. We got to stay positive even though its tuff.

Does it hurt when you ejaculate ?. 

Are you able to sit on a bicycle, go for a run and things like that ?. How is your active life ?. 

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Posted

Hi Nick

Sometimes it hurts when I ejaculare but other times have seen me cry after, hence sex is now a pipe dream.

I can'r ride and had to give up riding my motorbike due to pain from vibrations when riding, well more so the vibrations set up an ache which turned to agony later on in the day.

I can run short distances, I have to to be able to respond to emrgency events in my work but that causes a spike in pain later in day. My job is still at risk from this, work have pulled back from the brink from the time being but I don't think I'll be able to pass a key course, physical restraints, next August which again will put job right at risk.

If I'm not working then I tend to be curled up on sofa recovering from the day and feeling sore. In other words no home life nor active life

cheers

• Posted

PVP-ouch:

I feel you bro. I'm all most in the same situation. 

I really miss riding my bicycle, being active - and having a normal life just in general. 

I know this is a difficult question but what do you guys in here think causes the "sharp burning pain felling" in the scrotum ? .  

Maybe nerve and tissue damage. Or ?.

• Posted

As a urologist I have a great deal of sympathy for those who have experienced pain after a vasectomy. After my own vasectomy I experienced moderate discomfort for a yer afterward that ultimately resolved on its own but required daily anti-inflammatory medication. Since then I overhauled my vasectomy technique and became more involved in managing these issues.

In general. The procedure options are determined by the type of pain you have. Typically the pain is defined as localised or diffuse. For localised pain a variety of procedures are available which provide benefit for 2/3rds of people.  For pain localised to the vasectomy site excision and reversal can work. For pain localised to the epididymis (runs behind and on top of the testicle) aspiration and anti-inflammatories can help, occasionally an epididyectomy can help (I try to avoid that as the outcomes are not as beneficial).

For diffuse pain a trial of local anaesthetic injected into the testicle cord in the office is valuable. If the injection manages the pain then a denervaion procedure is useful. If it does not then it indicates the pain is being generated by the nerve more proximally and abalation of the nerve root, or TENS therapy can help.

PVP happens uncommonly. The published rate is 1-3% but in reality it is probably 10% who have significant discomfort and half of those seek treatment.

Good luck with your process. Typically I leave the testicular end of the vas open to minimize the risk of epididymal swelling. Doing this runs the risk of developing a spermatocele and antibodies.  There is no perfect approach and all have limitations. 

• Posted

a81016,

Would you recommend opening the testicular end of the vas for epididymal pain?

• Posted

I know this might sound strange, but I have not had any ejaculation at all since I got the vasectomy operation over one year ago. 

Simply because I dont have any sex drive at all but also because I have a fear - im afraid that it will hurt if I ejaculate.

Do you think it can have an impact in terms of if I want to have a vasectomy reversal operation ?.

- Because I have not had any ejaculation since I got the vasectomy ?. 

• Posted

Sorry Nick, I had not seen this when I sent my earlier comments. I was able to climax, but sometimes with pain, but the climax for me was ruined by the vasectomy, perhaps by as much as 80%. For me sex was better after the reversal.

Good luck David

• Posted

Seeing David's recent reply re climax reminded me...other than the pain during after climax I can't actually feel the climax itself...in other words I cum without really feeling it and the ejaculate kind of dribbles out rather than the forceful spurts previously.

Just another way the NHS ruined my life and put huge strain on life and marriage

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.