Vaseline as a moisturizer?

Posted , 7 users are following.

My PA recommended it but I don't like it - going to move on to coconut oil

It just doesn't seem to relieve the general irritation down there - may make it worse.

Anyone else ever try it?

Thanks.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

try drapolene it helps someone else on here used it and I tried it and have used it ever since only as a moisturiser. I also use estriol cream

• Posted

Thanks very much. I'll look for it.

• Posted

I have been using coconut oil recently. Extra virgin. It's solid, but melts at body heat. You do need to wear a panty liner, but it smells nice, and seems to work to a degree. I have also tried something called 'Vulval' health (from Amazon). That worked for a few days, but is more like Vasaline in texture. In fact everything I try works for a few days. If anyone finds the magic formula let us know!

• Posted

I would love a magic formula for burning urination. Its really distressing.

• Posted

One thing I do is to have a plastic bottle filled with warm water and pour it over my urethra as I am urinating. It takes away the sting and removed the opportunity for the tissue to be burned.

Sitz baths with warm water and baking soda once or twice a day are helpful. I just sit there and splash the water around for a few minutes.

• Posted

Rhiannon I am going to try vaseline because when I think of it it is quite thick and might stay on for a few toilet trips.

I have been using drapolene and it honestly gives me so much relief and it is anti bacterial

I have used drapolene for ages now and I find it does help a lot but we are all different.

• Posted

that's exactly the same as me I buy them use them then try something else

the most relief I have had is drapolene it is anti bacterial it stays on but will try vaselene and see how it goes

i have tried balance active .it was ok but drapolene better

Yes VM - it was so thin it ran through my fingers and was no use more on my hands than anywhere else and useless

coconut oil in any form I cannot use am allergic to it whether on my skin or any other use

let me know what you find best

• Posted

I think people often use it as a barrier cream against urine. It is much thicker than coconut oil. My gyn recommended that I use it along with my estradiol cream because it is PH neutral and prevents soreness. We have to become chemists it seems as our bodies are all different. Some are bothered by urine, some not, some bothered by hormone creams, some not. It probably depends on what you need it to do.

• Posted

Let us know if it works. I find not using the hormone cream every third/fourth night or so is helpful. I have compounded estriol cream at home which I never got to try as I forgot to pack it.(Am away till next month). Was under the impression based on what I've read here that it caused fewer problems than estradiol.

• Posted

estriol is the one with least estrogen and when I was really suffering last week on the night I used it it helped a lot and then the drapolene. I have been doing the pelvic floor exercises too because I don't know why but when I am at the worst with stinging and burning I feel my insides are faling out and constantly need the toilet and its definitely not a UTI I need to be on my feet because we care for our son that's one of my problems.

• Posted

olive, I have never used an applicator. My gyn's instructions were to use a small amount on my fingertip and apply to the vag entrance every night. She feels a small consistent dose is better than two larger ones.

• Posted

I'm making my first coconut oil suppository and will use it tonight to be inserted ynmy forefinger up to middle knuckle.

After 3 weeks of applicators with Estradiol and then vitamin E suppositories my vagina is feeling quite irritated.

Last night I used my finger to insert one of the latter and it felt all jagged edges at the top and the base, too.

That irritation kicked in my urge/frequency urinary problem so I was up and down several times leaving me, mainly, sleepless.

Hope I have more luck tonight as my home made one looks much smoother.

• Posted

Last winter as I was not yet using hormone cream I used Vit E capsules and coconut oil more often. Even sliding the E capsule in would feel as though it was catching so I would smear some coconut oil on it which worked fine. Would also make a suppository from chilled coconut oil. Neither gave the results that the hormone cream does for me, but I continue to use both, just less often.

• Posted

Yes, that was my experience 10 years ago when I first came down with VA. Estrace, 1 gram for 2 weeks, then a few times a week after that. Worked beautifully - in remission for 10 years. Hormones work!

In January I got a really bad uti and had 2 rounds of antibiotics and its been downhill since then with the PA telling me the VA is back and maybe, LS.

I tried to duplicate what worked a decade ago but she could only prescribe Estradiol and not Estrace (too $$ I guess) and, as I'm 10 years older (75) the old magic didn't work this time.

I found the whole insertion thing very problematic and painful and, as I have urinary issues, gave me the miserable urge/frequency that I hate so much.

I don't know if it was the Estradiol which just didn't seem as quality a product as Estrace was or the insertion process itself in my now 10 years older vagina. Ouch!

I'm seeing the PA Friday to determine if the possible LS is still there and I will ask her what she suggests for the AV next.

Good day, bad day, good day, bad day.....and so it goes.

• Posted

How often do you do the hormone cream and what do you take? The estriol cream (purchased on Amazon?)

Just the type you dab on your finger and insert into the vagina a little bit?

That's a new technique for me as I was always an applicator user but, as I said, those days seem to be over.

Thanks.

• Posted

I have never used the Estrace brand or an applicator. My former insurance would only cover generics and the co-pay was crazy. When I went to pick up a tube of estradiol it was well over $300 (maybe $350) because of the copay. I did not get it; instead my doc sent a prescription to a compounding pharmacy and the cost was around $90. I'm still using that tube; it goes a long way (10 + months) when you're using only a little pea size .

In the fall I had asked my gyn about trying estriol (read it's easier to tolerate & safer to use). That cost around $100 at the compounding pharmacy, but I forgot to pack it (I'm away for the winter) so I have recently recently filled a prescription for generic estradiol as I have a new insurer with a low copay around $40 (sure beats $350). I'll probably start using that in about two weeks.

Why are you unsure if you have LS? Did your doc say you don't have regular signs of it? I am also using a mild affordable steroid ointment for that. The LS is a much bigger concern to me than the AV. So far I have no urinary problems (emphasis on so far).

• Posted

She did a vulvar area exam when I went in with complaints about the "chapped lips" feeling I was getting down there when I walked plus occasional urge/frequency.

She said that she saw areas of redness and possible white patches on the vulva so she prescribed Clobesterol and told me to come back in a month for another look.

At that time I began using the applicator with Estradiol plus the Clobesterol cream. After 3 days I began to get a strong burning feeling in the whole vulvar area plus the urge/frequency.

I blamed the "Clob" at the time but now I'm thinking the negative reaction might have been to the applicator usage after 10 years - this time around seemed quite irritating.

I just read today that the walls of the vagina have no nerve endings (I didn't know this...) so I'm thinking that my perhaps clumsy appiicator insertion jammed the darn thing into my bladder which is just a thin wall away from the vagina.

Anyway - bottomline - I will find out Friday if I may have LS or not. I am going to resist having a biopsy and, if it still looks suspect, plan to tell her lets just start all over working on it - this time with the more mild steroid cream, Triamcinolone .01%

• Posted

That's the steroid I use for LS, but there was no question that LS is what I have (along with AV). I have never used clob.

I have also read that comment about there being no nerve endings in the vagina which has got to be wrong. There may not be* as many as in other areas*, but surely there is a reason why intercourse feels good. Think about it.

I do think there is little sensation on the cervix (or at least not very pleasant.) But we are all different. Perhaps there actually are women with no vaginal nerve endings.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.