Vats Surgery Pain and Numbness

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had Vats surgery Nov 2017, I still have pain and lots of numbness. I'm also experiencing soreness to my stomach and numbness also. I can't put any pressure to help assist with bowel and bladder. I have shooting pains to my breast and nipple and there's so much pain and numbness still and I'm concerned that this won't get any better. I tried raking leaves, I love yard work, and ended up at urgent care who sent me straight to the ER due to fluid on my left lower lobe, the upper lobe was removed due to cancer. I had serious complications after surgery so my recovery will take longer but I'm so tired of not being able to do anything, I get really short winded and must sit a certain way or the pain is worse. Have the tightness also, ribs so sore and swollen and can't touch anywhere from back where Vats cuts are, side where cuts are and especially the cut underneath my breast. Still can't wear a bra. Any help out there?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I had open thoracotomy in December for pleurodesis and bullectomy.  I still have an awful lot of pain, sometimes and think a collapse is about to happen! There are bubbles and sharp pain around the scars. It’s a tough recovery!!
    • Posted

Yes it is for sure!! First thing I said to my brother when waking up was I'd never do this **** again!! My stay should have been 3-4 days, ended back in ICU due to my right lung completely stopped working. They have no clue why it happened, now I have ARDS to add to the rest of problems. I spent 12 more days in ICU, was living on just one lobe, it was very serious to say the least!! I don't know what a collapsed lung feels like, don't know what lung sticking to wall is but I do know I hurt, it hurts to breathe deeply, oh it just hurts period!! Thanks for replying, hopefully we'll have good news to report soon!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.