Vedolizumab for Ulcerative Colitis

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, everyone. I have recently been diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis after a bad flare up that put me into hospital for a a few weeks and then off work for a couple of months. Much better now, but I am knocked out on cyclosporine and will be taking azathioprine for the next few years, which in itself can be unpleasant and has associated risks/lifestyle changes such as avoiding sunshine because of the increased risk of skin cancer.

Does anyone know about this new drug coming forward called Vendolizumab? Apparently it is much easier going on the system and doesn't act a general immunosuppressant but rather targets the specific response that causes Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn's. I can see it'll take time to get accepted into the UK because of the NICE (ironic name) bureaucracy, but what are the stories coming out of the US about this drug?

I am on a LOT of medication and whilst most will taper off in the next couple of months, I could do with a one hit drug for UC and I have been tole Vendolizumab might just be ut.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi will you let me know how you are on azathioprine as I will be going on it next time I see consultant.What side effects please.

• Posted

It is not so bad, although I am currently on cyclosporine which has very nasty side effects and therefore, azathioprine seems okay in comparision. Maybe a slight chemical taste and mild tummy discomfort, but nothing too bad.

The thing is it takes between 8 weeks and six months for azathioprine to work and that is dependent on have a good level of a certain enzyme after yiou have your tcip test, I've been on the drug for over two months now and will come off the cyclosporine in a month, so by then it should be working. 

Are you on cyclosporine at the moment?

• Posted

Hi Thankyou for replying.No all i am on is enamas salofalk.I have very bad diareah at the moment. and had 3 accidents  last week ,that is why he is putting me on that pill,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.