Vegan diet and Vitamin B12

Posted , 5 users are following.

i am surprised that vitamin B12 is not focused on more when talking about a vegan diet considering there are no plant sources A VEGAN DIET MUST INCLUDE A B12 SUPPLEMENT or get it from fortified foods such as some cereals and breads vitamin B12 deficiency can do significant damage to your health

see the VEGAN SOCIETY website for further details

0 likes, 68 replies

68 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi joe24421,

Having a deficiency in vitamin B12 isn't limited to being a vegan. A significant percentage of the meat eating population also have a vitamin B12 deficiency. Having said that, taking pills containing B12 as a supplement is almost useless. To absorb it properly it should be taken as an oral spray (in the mouth under the tongue), so it can be absorbed into the bloodstream.

• Posted

Hi Joe,

I have been veggie since the 1980's and b12 is constantly mentioned regarding vegetarian and vegan diets. That and Iron. I aren't sure what your concern is as b12 is found in foods such as mushrooms and seaweed and loads of things are fortified. B12 deficiency is not a vegetarian/vegan issue however as anyone can get such a deficiency. It takes 6 years for your B12 levels to go down. If you're concerned you may get a deficiency if you become vegetarian/vegan or are a meat eater with low levels, you can take a suppliment. I take feroglobin which has good amounts in and as far as any excess b12, you pee it out?

Hope this helps.

Beverley

• Posted

I am not sure that if you take excess vitamin B12 you pee it out unlike vitamin C. I thought it got stored in the liver in in excess, although I may be wrong.

• Posted

Hi Ptolemy,

your body stores what it needs and you pee out the rest. Think you can take too much iron and that can store in the liver though? you have to take loads though for that to happen.

Beverley

• Posted

I didn't really eat loads of milk/cheese animal products when I became veggie and since then I haven't had dairy or wheat in 20 odd years now. I don't have any vitamin deficiency at present.

• Posted

No - water soluble and pee'd out but it is the only water soluble vitamin that can be stored in the liver and that accumulates about 3-5 years worth.

• Posted

Hi Eileen,

I don't understand what you mean by saying No-water soluble and peed out? curious where you found the information that it is stored in the liver and what you mean by 3-5 years worth? Do you mean about how long before deficiency?

Beverley

• Posted

you must be getting your vit B12 from fortified foods check the facts there is no vit B12 in plants dont risk deficiency SPINAL INJECTIONS ARE NO FUN

• Posted

Hi Joe,

My experience is that I believe that there is b12 in mushrooms and seaweed. That deficiency is dealt with by injection but in the arm. I am sorry if you have had to have a spinal injection. I am sure if I'm hat is no fun.

Vitamin D deficiency is , as far as I know, a bigger problem and that is also fortified and it really doesn't matter what you eat to get a deficiency with that!

Is your issue with it being fortified? I'm not sure. I know a meat eater who had the b12 deficiency. They didn't have spinal injections either.

Beverley

• Posted

Nope, I get mine from an organic vegan oral spray.

• Posted

The Vitamin B12 contents of soybeans are low or undetectable. However, a fermented soybean-based food called tempe contains a considerable amount of Vitamin B12 (0.7–8.0 μg/100 g) [40]. Bacterial contamination during tempe production may contribute to the increased Vitamin B12 content of tempe [41]. Other fermented soybean products contain minute amounts of Vitamin B12 [42,43

• Posted

Several wild edible mushroom species are popular among vegetarians in European countries. Zero or trace levels (approximately 0.09 μg/100 g dry weight) of Vitamin B12 were measured in the dried fruiting bodies of porcini mushrooms (Boletus sp.), parasol mushrooms (Macrolepiota procera), oyster mushrooms (Pleurotus ostreatus), and black morels (Morchella conica). In contrast, the fruiting bodies of black trumpet (Craterellus cornucopioides) and golden chanterelle (Cantharellus cibarius) contained higher levels of Vitamin B12 (1.09–2.65 μg/100 g dry weight) than the abovementioned mushrooms [49]. To determine whether the fruiting bodies of dried black trumpet and golden chanterelle contain Vitamin B12 or other corrinoid compounds that are inactive in humans, we purified the corrinoid compound using an immunoaffinity column and identified it as Vitamin B12 by liquid chromatography-electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry [49]. In addition, high levels of Vitamin B12 were detected in the commercially available dried shiitake mushroom fruiting bodies (Lentinula edodes), which are used in various vegetarian dishes. The Vitamin B12 contents of dried shiitake mushroom fruiting bodies (100 g dry weight) significantly varied and the average Vitamin B12 value was approximately 5.61 μg [50]. Dried shiitake mushroom fruiting bodies rarely contained the inactive corrinoid, Vitamin B12[c-lactone]

• Posted

I was replying to ptolemy - B12 isn't fat soluble so excess is lost through the kidneys after it is also stored up to a certain level in the liver first, accumulating enough to keep you going for 3 to 5 years even if you didn't eat any B12 sources. Like a tap dripping into a bucket fills it up and then it drips over the edge. If the tap stops dripping there is still water in the bucket you can scoop out if you need it.

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002403.htm

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3257642/

• Posted

B12 isn't given as a spinal injection - it is either oral or intramuscular injections.

• Posted

as well as Vitamin B12 [50]. Lion’s mane mushroom (Hericium erinaceus) fruiting bodies also contain considerable amounts of Vitamin B12[c-lactone] [51]. Stabler et al. [52] demonstrated that Vitamin B12[c-lactone] binds very weakly to the most specific Vitamin B12-binding protein, i.e., the intrinsic factor involved in the gastrointestinal absorption of Vitamin B12, and it strongly inhibits Vitamin B12-dependent enzymes, methylmalonyl-CoA mutase and methionine synthase.

The consumption of approximately 50 g of dried shiitake mushroom fruiting bodies could meet the RDA for adults (2.4 μg/day), although the ingestion of such large amounts of these mushroom fruiting bodies would not be possible on a daily basis.

4.4. Edible Algae

Various types of edible algae are consumed worldwide as food sources. Dried green laver (Enteromorpha sp.) and purple laver (Porphyra sp.) are the most widely consumed edible algae, and they contain substantial amounts of Vitamin B12

• Posted

so, the facts are b12 is in plants but in smaller amounts?

Hope this helps you Joe.

Beverley

• Posted

Haha - have you any idea how big a volume 50g of dried mushrooms is!!!!

• Posted

i defy you to eat enough mushrooms everyday to get your recommended daily amount

some specific varieties of mushrooms do contain a little B12 but for too little to make them a viable source for human requirements

• Posted

I'm not claiming you can - I'm not veggie never mind vegan.

• Posted

if you damage your nerves because of b12 deficiency you dont get b12 injections you get injections to try to repair the nerve damage these are given spinally

• Posted

sorry Eileen that comment was meant for Beverley_01

• Posted

Hi Elaine,

Shiitake mushrooms are heavier than usual shop bought mushrooms but 50gs of normal mushrooms is half a pack of them? They sell them in 100g packs. dried shitake are sold in 50gs bags. So, not a massive amount I would say? but, then again, I didn't do the study-groups of scientists did.

Beverley

• Posted

Have you got b12 deficiency Joe? Have you someone in your life who has or have you got nerve damage from b12 deficiency Joe? I'm curious as your experience is totally different to mine and what I have been told by a doctor when my b12 was low but not deficient some years ago. I was told I would have injections and I had to bring the ampuls home with me. So, I don't get how your experience has such a dramatic difference to what I was told and what my research showed me.

Beverley

• Posted

I am confused as to what you're upset about Joe. you said there aren't vegetable sources of b12 so I showed you there is and I feel you are mocking me for showing you that, why is that ?

• Posted

I'd like some references of this. The only reference I can find is for LOCAL u/s guided injection of B12 for peroneal nerve damage - in the lower leg.

• Posted

my aunt had to have steroid injections in the spine ti relieve pain caused by damage due to B12 deficiency she also has to regularly IM inject B12 for the rest of her life

• Posted

Ah - that isn't what you implied before. Not quite the same thing.

• Posted

Well Joe,

I don't see this thread as simple at all. You said there aren't vegetable sources of b12 and tell me to read the facts so I show you the facts and you mock me about mushroom consumption, which is confusing.

I hope the facts I showed you were helpful somehow.

Beverley

• Posted

i dint mock or judge or assume fact you woukd need to est about 1 kilo of mushrooms, the few varieties of mushroim that contain minute quantities of B12, EVERY DAY To get anywhere mear you RDA

• Posted

"I defy you to eat enough mushrooms everyday to get your recommended daily amount......" is what you said which I feel is mocking me.

No where in the research did it say 1kilo of muschrooms. It said 50g of shiitake mushrooms would give the daily amount.

I sent the research because you said I needed to read the facts. I sent you facts stating b12 isn't only in animal sources. you don't seem to like the facts that the researchers say mushrooms contain b12. that is your choice but, it is still a fact that you said didnt exist.

• Posted

Didn't mean it that way - I live in a region where we eat loads of porcini and every shop has them dried for the tourists (and us). Once you reconstitute them they take some using!!! And even I struggle to eat a big portion. Though I do wonder if when you use the soaking liquid in cooking if that has B12 in it???????? Now that would be worth knowing.

This could have been such an interesting discussion...

• Posted

Hi Joe,

I am sorry to hear how your auntie has suffered from such nerve damage due to b12 deficiency. From my research it seems that some people actually can't uptake b12 properly and need injections. I wonder if your auntie has this condition or is your auntie diabetic , has had stomach surgery or drinks alot of alcohol? as this seems to change b12 uptake.

Also, am wondering if your auntie is vegan/vegetarian?

Beverley

• Posted

Hi Eileen,

it's ok, shitake are a heavier mushroom where as porcini are pretty light. I 've dried my own horse mushrooms and they are very light !

Beverley

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.