Vegan diet: heart palpitations, anxiety, insomnia and more

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello! I am a male, 22 years old and have been eating vegan for nearly 3 months. When I went vegan i immediatly started to feel a lot better, happier, healthier and so on, but for these last two weeks or so I have been getting some very worrying symptoms and I wonder if they could be related to my diet. I have started getting a lot of heart palpitations and anxiety almost 24/7 leading to extreme insomnia. I also feel alot of muscle tension and fasciulations especially in my legs, and i am starting to feel very depressed and unhappy because of this. These are all symptoms ive experienced before in my life even as a carnivore, theyve just gotten alot worse now.

I went to the doctor to check this up and told them about my vegan diet and they took a bunch of blood tests. Zinc, magnesium, d-vitamin, b12, was all fine, only iron was a bit low. They say everything is fine and that the symptoms im experiencing is probably due to anxiety/stress.

I have been eating very strictly and these are basically all the foods i have been eating daily: lentils, sweet potato, white rice, tofu, broccoli, quinoa, oats, berrys, banana, cashew nuts, almond butter, watermelon, pineapple. Supplements: vitamin b12 and D-vitamin.

Now my question is, can I be 100% sure that these tests are accurate and that its not my diet thats causing these problems after all? I really dont want to go back to eating meat, but these symptoms im experiencing are so intense that I almost cant believe that its just mental issues and stress. It sounds to me very similar to vitamin b12 defiency and I know about pernicious anemia but the blood test shows that i am not deficient in vitamin b12 so it cant be the case, right?

Extremely grateful for your thoughts and help!!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Sounds like it might be calcium. You can actually buy kits to test for vitamin or mineral deficiencies.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.