VEGAN Menopause ?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi. This is just a query. Are there any vegans on here that are going through the menopause? if so how are your symptoms; how long have you been vegan ?.what are you doing to help ease the symptoms?

Thank you. Cindy x

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi, not quite vegan, maybe once a week or so have cheese. Having a bad menopause because I am very reactive to hormonal changes. Hrt is not a possibility medically, ethically as with all medication its worrying. In theory a diet high in soy like mine is good for hot flushes, so god knows how bad things would be otherwise. i take sage for the flushes, try to eat a good diet, the lower in sugar the better. No caffeine, valerian and hops drops to help with sleep problems. Bach flower emergancy essence for emotional crisis, because of mood swings. CBT, meditation. Also thinking, maybe it was good I had my outburst, they needed to know how I feel- when my usual diplomacy disappears along with my patience! You can try the cohosh natural remedies which affect hormones but I was wary because of my family history. I think unfortunately; it is a case of taking it day by day and getting through it. If anyone has any other vegan tips for dealing with any symptoms I would love to know!

• Posted

Hi Claire. thank you for your response and your recomendations. I do take Vit B and D and again I believe this helps me. I also take Turmeric Capsules. I have heard of the Cohosh and I may also give this a try. My plan is to try and get through this as naturally as possible. I do feel a vegan diet has made me feel generally better in myself; although i obviously do still suffer symptoms. I have just started to incorporate soya milk and soya beans into my diet. I have been Vegan for around 15 months. I am 51 and post menopausal. nice to meet you x

• Posted

I really don't think it is possible to tell if being vegan makes a difference to menopausal symptoms because everyone experiences menopause differently and the symptoms change over time. I have been flexatarian (vegan but eating eggs and fish, no dairy due to milk intolerance) for many years, started menopause about 5 years ago and have been vegan for 2 years. I can't really say that becoming vegan changed anything except i felt healthier overall. My menopause symptoms have fluctuated and changed over time anyway. One thing i have done us take Vit B and D suppliments, which women in menopause can lack and it may be more important for vegans to take Vit B suppliments because, unless they ensure they get plenty of this in their diet (e.g spirulina, baobab fruit) they can lack this.

• Posted

Hi Suki.

Yes I would agree there definitely isn't any evidence out there to suggest that a vegan diet would help the symptoms of menopause; but equally there really isn't much useful information out there period. I have learnt more off of this site in the last week or so then I have doing any research or visits to the GP. I also take Vit B and D. I have been Vegan for 15 months and Vegetarian for around 18 months or so ( I am rubbish with time) I do feel healthier since cutting out meat and dairy. let's face it both are full of their own hormones and we are having enough trouble with our own.! I am suffering symptoms of menopause but when I read some other posts my heart goes out to these women and the sheer desperation in their voices. I know i could be way off the mark but it's my belief that my diet is helping me ? x

• Posted

Hello!

I have been a strict vegetarian for 30 years. I am close to being vegan as I do not drink milk, eat yogurt, etc.. I have no way of knowing if being a vegetarian has any affect on my perimenopause.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.