VEMP Test Help

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been light headed or had brain fog for yrs. I have been to every doctor and had every test and all comes back good except for a VEMP test my ENT did on me. She did not even want to do it because she thought it was a waste of time but my left side did not preform very well. I asked her about it and she suggested to go to P/T for it. She thinks it's my neck causing issues and not my ear. I have been to P/T for this and it really did not help. Does anybody know anything about the VEMP test and what I should do? I can't seem to find much info on it. 

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

  • Posted

    Hi,  VEMP tests are used to measure how certain muscles contract or relax to sound burst played in the ear.   These can be a abnormal in different ways.  There can be a response that is too low or too big, it can be abnormal because of asymmetry.  You should get a copy of your test result for review and ask Dr for a diagnosis.  I have a condition elated to a response that is to big.  I’m not sure how a VEMP result would suggest rehab.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      I pressed my doctor for answers and all she said was that I should get P/T and she thinks my dizzy, brain fog is from my neck. I know....not a great answer. Been looking for another doctor that can read the report and give me an answer but have not had luck yet. Do you know anybody that could?
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I went back and looked at the doctors answers and this is what she said. I just don't know what do do with this info. Wish I knew which it was.

    1. you have an isolated saccule/infetoror vestibular nerve weakness (rare, but possible). this would explain your symptoms. the treatment is "compensation" with the other 4 organs and the 5 organs of the opposite side as well as your eyes and posture control muscles.

    2. you have a weak neck muscle on the weaker side, or, as a converse a "too tense" muscle on the stronger side. I think this is best addressed with neck therapy. you can test this with muscle tests at a neurologist office but it involves needles and is quite uncomfortable. a good therapist may be able to tell you which side appears stronger/more tense over weaker and address that, 

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up