Venalfaxine withdrawal

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been tapering of venalfaxine for the last 4 weeks and only cut down a fraction of my dose I was ok for a while but now I'm getting the most horrendous simptoms. I'm tired dizzy feel sick can't eat feel faint when I stand up just feel like I want to die to be honest. The depression and anxiety is worse than ever, I knew all this was going to happen as it's just withdrawal simptoms and it doesn't mean I need them it's just means that I have come dependant on them but knowing all this doesn't make it anymore easy. What annoys me is that the doctors dish out this crap but don't tell you how hard it is to come off them. All I seem to read lately is the terrable story's about how hard it is to get off this drug. I regret the day I went on it also it never gave me any relief all I got from it was the awful side effects. I wish this drug could be banned then that would save anyone else having to go through this hell. I'm finding it so hard as I have to work and can't have time off as I can't get benifits due to the fact I was on benifits last year and was made to go for a medical at one if those athos centres run by the DWP and told I was fit for work so the benifits were stopped. Also I am self employed so don't get statutory sick pay so I have no choice but to work when feeling like a zombie. Anyway I suppose I just have to stick with it and hope to God that I will feel better soon and get completely off this nightmare drug as there is no way I'm turning back now I just want this crap out of my system. I have tryed all sorts of ADs over the last 30 years and nothing has helped at all, in fact most of them have made me worse so I'm looking at more healthy ways to deal with this like exercise healthy eating acupuncture Rieki and Herbal remedys ect at least these don't have side effects and withdrawal simptoms 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Michael,

Sorry to hear about your Venlafaxine withdrawal. A few things below that you might find helpful:

- The withdrawal on Venlafaxine happens because it has a very short half-life. If you do decide to try other ADs, you won't necessarily have such a problematic withdrawal

- All of these symptoms do go away eventually - it can just be a terribly hard slog to get to this point. If you can't bear the horrid symptoms anymore, then taking some Venlafaxine will relieve the symptoms, and won't push you back hugely in your efforts to come off it

- Ask your GP to prescribe you the extended release CAPSULES. The way to come off Venlafaxine with the least side effects is to do it painfully slowly. Tablets don't allow you to do this as you can't break them small enough, but the capsules are full of circa 300 tiny little balls. Take as many out as you can without triggering the side effects and maintain each reduced dose for at least a week. You'll find that at some stages you can drop by 50 balls in a week, and at other stages you may only be able to do 10.

- It's rare that you'll find a GP that understands quite how slowly you have to withdraw (understandably as they've never had brain shivers!! biggrin So, get the capsules and do it at your own pace

This is just what worked for me when I did it, but thanks for highlighting the issue; the more of us that do that the savvier GPs will get about prescribing it and subsequently 'un-prescribing' it.

Best of luck!

• Posted

Thanks for your advice Robert I will defiantly do that. I have also got to get off lamotragine to but one thing at a time I think 
  • Posted

Just came across this discussion. I too have been trying to get off this AD. I take Effexor extended release. I am down to about 20-25 beads. I am not getting the "dizzies" provided I take the drug on time. However, I continue to be plagued by fatigue. Wondering how you are doing?
  • Posted

Oh, forgot to say that this fatigue also brings on the depression and anxiety.
    • Posted

Hi cathy

I'm doing ok thanks, good days and bad days got down to 37 mg now. Not depressed or anxious just a bit tired, no brain zaps anymore had a bad stomach yesterday but fine now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.