Venesection

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello all,

I got my diagnosis last week of HH . 

I just got my list to start my venesections. My first starts tomorrow then every week . I’m really Nervous to be honest. Haven’t even given blood before 😢

Do they leave the line in or take it out every time?

Does it hurt? 

Any tips that may help me for tomorrow?

Thank you

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, i'm also new to this, my ferritin level was 3078, after to phlebotomies i'm at 2600 and have had 2 more since then. I need to have them once a week for 3 months. My suggestion is to keep hydrated during the day and day before....take your phone so you can do facebooking or put it on a music channel. Don't look, breathe, take someone with you as you SHOULD NOT DRIVE after, so you can talk and laugh through it. If you have a good person doing it, the pain should be very little. The tourniquet will be the most uncomfortable, but once they release it its good. Arm may be sore for 24 hours. You will probably be tired after. go home go to bed. YOU GOT THIS!

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. I’ll take in board all that you’ve said.

So glad I found this group 😀

• Posted

Hi, you do not have anything to worry about but my advice would be to make sure you are fully hydrated and have something to eat before you attend your first session.  I too had weekly sessions and they can leave you a bit worn out as they are taking out some good stuff as well as the iron that we do not need.  I made sure I had a litre of coconut water at home which is great for re hydrating.  Do not drink any alcohol on the day following your session as I found out it wasn't a great idea!  

The hospital or clinic where you have this done are experienced, the needle only stays in your arm during the session and they will probably use the other arm the next week.  It's a quick sharp prick and nothing to be scared off and the nurses were great - you will get to know them as you will be attending on a regular basis.

Don't plan on any vigorous exercise for a few days afterwards or it will be tougher, I did drive home but I would see how you personally feel after your sessions as we are all different.

Stay positive, I just donate blood on a quarterly basis now and life and health is good.

Best of luck, Linda

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. I’ll take in board all that you’ve said.

So glad I found this group 😀

• Posted

Advice from Linda & Deb is excellent.

Overall, having HH is not that onerous. At least we don't have to take meds for it and the phlebotomies are not difficult. I live in the U.S. & the only regret I have is that they dispose of my blood rather than use it for people who need transfusions. Some states do allow the blood to be used but not in CT.

Drinking fluids before and after is key. Also eat something substantial before the phlebotomy.

I always wear my bandage conspicuously afterwards and remind my wife that I am excused from any arduous household chores.

Having an Irish background, I also embellish, exagerrate and lie about the "terrible ordeal" I have to endure on a monthly basis.

You'll do fine, Samantha, and it will be so rewarding for you to see your ferritin levels drop.

John

• Posted

Samantha, I luv having vs as I know it gets rid of iron, yay o had 2000 but down now. Drink and eat before you go, enjoy tea n biscuits given after. Remember still to try not to eat iron loaded foods afterwards because the body will crave its loss. Shame they throw our blood away 😖

• Posted

Hi Samantha,

When I was diagnosed at age 35 my ferretin was 3300. I went weekly for 2.5 years with 3 little kids in tow all under school age.  If I was tired I never had time to think about it.  I was also working part time as a registered nurse.

I didn’t have much info back then. 

Fast forward I am now 61yo and have phlebotomist every six weeks for life. You just do what you have to do. And no they do not leave the needle and tubing in your arm.  I know my iron levels were high when I was a teen but was never diagnosed.  I would love to chat with females that know they had juvenile HH.  I would love to compare symptoms. 

Best of luck to you😀. With me they have pretty much used the same vein for 25 years. Amazing how one little vein can take so much abuse😆

• Posted

Thank you for sharing experiences & tips etc. It’s like having a little family xxx

• Posted

Hi - I was recently diagnosed with HH (Ferritin level of 720). I am 59 year old female. I have had 3 phlebotomy in  3 weeks. I can tell you that it is important to eat and drink. Week one I drank gator aid and ate well with no problem hitting the vein. Week two I drank water beginning 24 hours in advance, ate well prior to appointment and that vein would not cooperate. That hurt. Ended up switching arms with big bruises and sore arms for several days. Third week I drank water the day before and then milk and orange juice day of with plenty of food. Again, this was successful with no problems. So long story short, try drinking juice, milk, gator aid and not just water. 

• Posted

All great advice for you.  I will add that you make sure you elevate your feet, if you are in a chair where the foot part can be raised.  Otherwise ask for a chair or stool.

Good luck - I have been having venesections since 1998.  It is tedious but better than having chemo!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.