Venlafaxen side effects

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everybody

After a roller coaster of various meds trying to get the right balance I was put on 75mg of venlafaxen and weaned to 15mg of mirtazapine.

Until I was just taking 75mg of venlafaxen, I have felt the best iv ever felt however after 3 weeks my phyciatrist upped them to 150mg.

For the past 2 days iv felt low very nauseous and dreadful headaches as well as not being able to sleep again.

Anybody else felt this and if so how long can I expect to feel this way??

I don't mind if I know I will pick up again yet worried I'm going backwards. Any advise very much appreciated. Xx

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Well he doubled your dose (could have gone by 37.5 increments but I am sure he had his reasons). However rest assured that the worst of the adjustment disturbances to venlafaxine at 150mg should last another 3 to 10 days. Generally, from own experience and others i know who have been on it, nausea should subside during the first week and headaches may take more time, but no longer than a month (and not at the initial intensity throughout the month biggrin.

You should be back to sleeping normally over the next couple of days. If not, ask your doctor if he would like to add a mild sleeping aid for a couple of weeks to help ease you through and ensure you do not get over-tired as this can mess with your symptoms causing temporary worsening.

Any worsening of your original symptoms (the ones for which you were put on the drug in the first place) should be also better within 7-10 days of dosage change.

At 150mg ven you are quite well covered and get the full benefit of the drug. You should not worry about going backwards unless, after about 3 months on it, you stop making progress. These first couple of weeks on your new dose are not indicative of anything. Ven is a potent drug and takes some getting used to.

All the best.

Let us know how you feel over the coming days.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your thorough response. I feel now much more rest assured as I felt I had gone 10 steps forth and 8 back.

The nausea is extreme to the point I can't face food🙈but better days to come.

Thanks again for the sigh of relief.X

• Posted

Im wondering why, if you felt so good, your dose was raised that high?
    • Posted

Well she told me then to eliminate the 15 of mertazapine which was initially 30mg how er suffered terrible eating habits waking up at silly hours craving sweets cakes jam just anything sweet when I'm not even a sweet eater. I gained over a stone in 5 weeks so she taper me to 15 met and 75 ven and then eliminated the mertazapine to 150 of the ven.I said the same to my husband tonite😔I feel so rotten yet I had felt so good! I guess I just have to see how I go.

• Posted

It was a good call on the doctor's part to test you on 150 given the interchange of meds. The only thing she could have done differently was to do it in 37.5 increments, making her a bit of a jerk now smile. But it is appropriate to test push the limits to see if the problem will be better addressed. Then if you have difficulty evening out on 150, she can drop by 37.5 increments until you are smooth sailing. x

• Posted

also...the famous ven nausea will certainly help you shed some of the night-craving weight you picked up with mitrazepine smile always look at the bright side. Hope you feel much better very soon.

• Posted

Yes😊was thinking that too! Although as soon as I stopped the mertazapine the cravings stopped also.crazy!!!

I think what she's done is because I went private the health care company would only allow 1000 max on mental health so she has been very good and staggered my appointments.

I only have one more left and she did say that these venlafaxen were the gold of antidepressents and the reason she didn't put me on them first was that I had no appetite and the mertazapine certainly improved that!!!! Many thanks again, much appreciated. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.