Venlafaxin

Posted , 5 users are following.

Can anyone share how long the side effects take to subside, it's been really bad first two weeks!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I'm on week 4 and feeling nearly normal. First 2 weeks were not nice.
  • Posted

Your body is getting used to the Venlafaxine, and yes you will feel worse before you feel better.  I should think you are over the worst, and in about 4 weeks you should begin to feel a lot better. 
  • Posted

Sorry I may have misunderstood. I was talking about coming off venlafaxine. Going onto it changed my life in a very good way. 
  • Posted

People react differently to Venlafaxine. I have been on this drug now for 6 months and I have had varying side effects every day. I cannot remember having one free day of a side effect of some sort. The worst is the horrible metallic taste in the mouth, which comes and goes throughout the day. My intake of chewing gum and mints has increased significantly. Also my mouth seemed to have a furry feeling all the time and I would get blood blisters quite frequently, but for the past 3 weeks I have not had them. I also had issues with uriniation and constipation in the first 4 weeks, but I do not get them so much now. Also a few issues with libido, but I seem to have got over them. After 5 months, I started getting myoclonus (muscle twitching) which has got steadily worse. I don't particularly like this drug. My psychiatrist said that I am very sensitive to this drug, but told me to persevere. I would say that the drug has helped a little, but I still have had some depressive bouts (about half a dozen in the past 6 months). I really cannot wait to get off this drug, but I am not looking forward to the weaning process. I practice transcendental meditation, which I find has helped me. I believe that if I had just relied on this drug, it would not have worked. I would advise anyone to try non-drug therapy along with drugs as a complement. Good luck with the medicine. I take Venlablue capsules (prolonged release) which are supposed to lessen the side effects. Normally 4-8 weeks is when the side effects are supposed to subside. If you are lucky, they will go completely. I hope they do for you.
  • Posted

Have a look at the threat about the positives of venlafaxine if you need some reasons to persevere with it. My experience of it was good, but I had big problems with other anti-depressants.
  • Posted

I had side effects first 3 weeks but shakiness and fuzzy head has slowly gone away, been on them 5 weeks now.
  • Posted

How are you now?  Are things getting better?  Let us know how you are
    • Posted

Thanks Anne, I am being taken off all forms of medication as I have had severe nausea for four months and no end of chopping and changing and side effects. Haven't slept for 9 days bar the odd twenty minutes. Praying my anxiety/depression/cod do not take over
  • Posted

Hi all. My partner is having trouble reducing the amount she takes per/day. She feels like she has had enough and want's to get off this drug, but is to frieghtened to start to reduce. She has been on this drug for a long time (many,many years) long before we met. I'm trying to get her to take 150mg instead of 225mg, but she believes she will not be able to cope. Her doctor has organised this reduction (not me).

Any help would be great from someone who has done this. smile

• Posted

I was on anti depressants for 30 years and Effexor for 9 years.  I reduced from 150mg over a 10 month period.  It must be done really, really slowly by very small increments.  Do it too fast and your partner will get withdrawals.  Reducing from 225mg to 150mg must take a few weeks.  She will be able to cope if she does it right.  You say her doctor is helping her with this, so hopefully she will get good advice.  My doctor helped me initially, and then I worked out how to go down slowly myself. 

First thing my doctor told me was to take larger and smaller amount on alternative days for three months.  This means she should tsake 225mg one day and the next dosage down the next day for three months.  Never miss a day, as her body will not know what is happening.  She will need to stabalise on each lower dose for weeks before reducing further.  It should take her about a year as she is on a high dosage and has been on it for years.  The higher the dose and the longer it has been taken the longer the withdrawal must take.  Don't let her rush this withdrawal please. 

She will be fine if she takes my advice.  It is 18 months since I stopped and I am managing without any medication at all, and that is pretty good for an old lady who took anti depressants for 30 years.

I am sure she will be OK.  Just take it SLOWLY

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.