Venlafaxine 150 mg 4 weeks anxiety through roof

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone - I've been on ven 150 mg for 4 weeks. I was on 75mg which lifted me slightly out of a deep/ dark place however, when I went on 150 mg, anxiety kicked in. I've been on 150mg for 4 weeks now and been really really up and down. The past 5 days have been terrible - not sleeping, weight loss, racing heart, tingly etc... Surely by now they should be working.

I'm at a bit of a loss, these worked for me instantly when I was on them two years ago. I was on 225mg before - never had anxiety like this.

Any advice would be welcomed.

Should I think about increasing the dose or would you say it's not agreeing with me this time around???

Thank you

K x

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

hi kerrie sorry to see your having problems with venlafaxine ive been taking it for several years ! it sounds like either its just the change of dosage that will settle down given time but if say in another 2-3 weeks you are still having problems go back to your doctor but if you are feeling really bad go and see your doctor now ! take care i wish you. well david
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply.  Venlafaxine worked so well/instantly for me last time...that's why i'm just a bit confused as to why they seem to be having a negative effect this time around. The mind is playing tricks now telling me that maybe they're just not going to work this time!!!!

I just have to be patient I suppose.  I have an appointment wiht my GP next week. I am, going to push to be referred to psychiatrist as every time i go to my doctors i see someone new, which is even more frustrating.  sad

• Posted

Hi Kerie, I assume you your GP is in a group practice, can you not ask to see a specific doctor so you can build up a " relationship " with him/ her?

When I have made an appointment regarding my mental health I have always asked to be seen the same Dr. Yes I may have had to wait a few extra days, but it has certainly paid off. I can talk to him, ask questions, and I feel he knows me quite well. I asked about a referral to a psychiatrist about 5 months ago, but after explanation about trying other possible treatments beforehand so the psychiatrist can have a better picture we decided not to go ahead. However I went for a routine review as my GP had requested and at the review he decided a referral was appropriate, and I was contacted within 6 hour and seen within 3 days, all following the detailed report my GP had sent. I felt this was because he really new me as a patient as I had always seen him.

If it was something other than my mental health I would see any doctor.

• Posted

You are more than welcome. I hope it works as well for you as it has done for me.. Would you let me know how you go 
    • Posted

When you choose the GP you would like to see make sure ithey are a partner in the practice and not a locum as locum do not tend to be there when you go back.
  • Posted

Hi Kerrie, this is common but I know its really distressing.It will subside but I would stick with it, Try to find some ways to relax ,deep breathing,listening to some calming music and only doing what you have to for a few days. Dont place any expectations on yourself and dont allow others to either. Keep everything quiet and seek the company of a good friend to help you focus on things other than how you are feeling. Take one day at a time and be kind to yourself,good luck Kerrie.x
  • Posted

I was on 150mg Venlafaxine for 9 years.  I had a break of 6 months when I withdrew cold turkey, but the depression returned and I went back on it.

The increase from 75mg to 150mg can make you feel worse at first, but gradually you will feel better

But it could be that you have not given it long enough to work.  See how you feel in 3 weeks, and if you are still not feeling any better, go back to your doctor.  Seems a shame as you did well before on this medication.  Difficult to know whether your body no longer copes with Venlafaxine.  Have you ever been on other anti depressants? 

• Posted

hi Anne

I was on citalopram for years but that stopped having an effect when i went through a relationship break up.

After that I tried sertraline - that was awful. Made me more depressed and just didn't work.

Then after that was the venlafaxine - i was on it around 8/9 months, then slowly came off them, which I shoudn't have done  -this was two years ago. I've been without meds since then but had an awful episode of depression after taking ecstasy -stupid girl

• Posted

I found Prozac the very worst anti depressant I ever tried.  Made me so very ill.  I was on Sertraline for years and was OK on that.  Seroxat made my arm jerk about so had to stop that.  One of the earlier trycyclics made me aggressive.  It is a matter of finding an anti depressant that suits us with no side effects, or at any rate, few side effects.  You see I was fine on Sertraline, but it did not suit you.

Venlafaxine was the best for me, but came off it over a year ago at my doctor's suggestion.  Been on anti depressants for over 20 years, but coping without. 

If you were doing well without medication, then you will again.  2 years is really good.  What have you decided to do?  Will you stick with the Venlafaxine for a while longer, or try something else?

• Posted

I think the dose was not high enough. 

I know this is really naughty, but I opened two capsules and added 4 more of the little white tablets to one capsule (which would make it around 200mg), closed it up and done that for the past 2 days and my anxiety has completely gone.  I think I needed a higher dose. I’ll carry on doing this and see how I go.  I’m seeing my doctor next week - i’ll tell my doctor I’ve been doing this.  So, I would imagine that I’d need to go on the 225mg capsules.  225mg worked really well for me before so it makes sense.

Like I said, I know its naughty to mess around with the dosage, but I was at the end of my tether…..

• Posted

Well Kerrie your method seemed to have worked for you.  How did you know which capsules put the dosage up to 200mg?  Yes tell your doctor, and hopefully they will prescribe the higher dose as you say that makes you feel better.

I am so pleased things getting easier for you.  Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.