Venlafaxine 225mg Cold turkey come-down!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey so I need advice & help!

I've been on 225mg for a year & half now and a few days ago I ran out of tablets. I only just recently moved county and doctors, and I have a medical certificate (to get medication for free due to being on ESA) but it's now worthless because I'm no longer on ESA, the address is wrong now because I'm no longer at that address and my partner works now so I'm actually no longer entitled to the medical certificate. So silly also that I can't yet afford to get anymore medication, hence why I had no choice to go 'cold-turkey'. I need help on what I can do to make the withdrawal symptoms less intense! I'm constantly sweating, shaking, crying, having a fuzzy feeling through my body. It's like I can feel my heart beat and skip through my eyes and the nightmares are horrible! They're really physical, my parter has had to restrain my because I've ended up screaming in my sleep & punching & kicking! I'm genuinely freightend because he's at work all day and I'm alone with thoughts of self harm and even 'suicide'. I want this to be over (the come-down) how long will I be like this?! Because I honestly don't think if last another day! So please, anyone give me some advice or/and help! Please no stating the obvious though..

Thanks,

Ben

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

No simple answer, Ben. Presumably you have yet to find a new GP in which case then the only alternative is to get to A&E.

I've been on Venlafaxine a couple of times and there is no easy way out. What I believe is paramount is to wean yourself off by reducing the dose/day and doing that over a period of many weeks. How long? That depends entirely on each individual. Only you will know how you feel each day and whether you are ready to stretch the doseage out further. It's tough but it can be done. Cold turkey is not a good way to come off most drugs, particularly an anti-depressant.

• Posted

Thank you for the advice. I'm going to get in contact with A&E and get there ASAP. Thank you again!
  • Posted

Nothing to add to that other than it will end eventually. Good advice to go to A&E as they will probably give you something to take the edge off it in the meantime. Aren't the benefit rules ridiculous!
  • Posted

I take it your not in the uk. Is there an equivalent to a&e you could go to. Its a high dose to just stop taking it. Hope this helps. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.