VENLAFAXINE 300MG STOPPING

Posted , 7 users are following.

For 2yrs ive been on Venlafaxine and now on 300mg. The last 4days ive not taken any.

I am experiencing side effects but really wanted to know how serious can the side affects be if i just continue to stop taking them?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tracy  Sorry to hear this. My husband is on day 9 of withdrawal (GP made him go cold turkey because he's been having horrendous side effects whilst on the drug) and he's even worse now . Has had a brain CT Scan at the hospital yesterday and due an MRI tomorrow to see if anything else is causing problems but they are 99% sure its the drug.  Saying all this some people have no problems at all.  He was on 75mg ER

• Posted

Hi Janet

Sorry to hear about the side effects your husband has had. If you don't mind me asking- what symptoms does he have? I also had to go for an MRI as my entire body became numb on this Med. We still can't determine what exactly went wrong.

• Posted

I was on 300 mg a day for 4 years - by an incorrect diagnosis.    I convinceed my DR that it was not helping & he finally agreed. He weaned me off it over a month. i have been clear of it for six weeks but the first week was hell. Each day gets better & now Im on a stabilizing drug - which is what I should have been on to start with.  Hang in there - the effects do wear off.

• Posted

In what way was it hell for you kyber10774? What was the stabilizing drug you were on?x
    • Posted

There was a complete feeling of uselessness. No focus. I would just start crying for no reason - no triggers. It's wearing off. The stabillizer is divalproex

• Posted

The effects of stopping antidepressants suddenly can be severe, and after 4 days you are probably not yet experiencing the worst of them.

Best thing to do is to start taking 225mg per day, and then talk to your doctor about tapering off them slowly. That way you shouldn't have as many problems with withdrawl symptoms.

• Posted

You say severe RickHants in what way exactly?xx
    • Posted

Just google "antidepressants cold turkey", and you get:

http://www.healthline.com/health/depression/dangers-of-stopping-antidepressants#2

with title: "The Dangers of Abruptly Stopping Antidepressants"

says: "Quitting without consulting your doctor can be dangerous — even deadly"

The NHS site:

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/869.aspx?CategoryID=73&SubCategoryID=104

titled: "How should antidepressants be discontinued?"

says:

"A dose of antidepressants should be slowly reduced over one to two weeks if treatment has lasted less than eight weeks, and over six to eight weeks if treatment has lasted six to eight months. This is because although antidepressants are not classed as addictive medicines, they can cause serious withdrawal symptoms if stopped abruptly".

• Posted

Thank you RickHants for your advice .

I think i need to go back on them. My doctor doesnt know ive come off them for 6 days and feeling so terrible. Have been being sick every morning. Anxiety is through the roof. Experiencing a lot of intrusive thoughts too.xx

• Posted

Whats the worse side effect of just suddenly stopping Venlafaxine at such a high dosage?

Im.already being sick.in the mornings, a fuzzy head lighrlt headed and anxiety higher. Xx

• Posted

My husband was on 75mg XR and I'd say his worse side effect is slurred speech which he had since going on them and he was only on them for 7 1/2 weeks and still has today and he's day 10 withdrawal 

• Posted

the worst side effect of stopping cold turkey from such high dosage is a psychotic episode possibly followed by homicide (if your are an expressive type) or suicide (if you are the self-beating type). Aren't you glad you asked. Reinstate the last dosage you felt comfy on and talk to a doctor. there are ways to withdraw fast if your side-effects are serious!

• Posted

you can be bumped down to the lowest possible dosage and given an alternative med. What kind of side effects are causing you to want to stop like this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.