venlafaxine

Posted , 5 users are following.

Been on Venlafaxine for one year now. Have been on various others for many years. I was diagnosed5 years ago with BPD but suffered years before that.

I feel it is making me worse. I spent most of 2014 in tears and high suicidal thoughts.

Recently been having recurring nightmares of the past and it has been triggering me of badly.

Today I have been vomitting black stuff. I am worried I have damaged myself inside with the medication. I have no help as MH discharged me

I am on 150mg

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I would go straight to a&e  as you should not be vomitting black stuff. I am not having a good time on venlefaxine 150mg. I am not sleeping and have no appetite.

• Posted

I havent been sleeping well neither. Normally drift off around 4am and then its broken sleep.
  • Posted

I agree with Yvonne, Do you have any other symptoms like pain or discomfort or a fever, best go to a@e to rule anything out and it may put your mind at ease.
  • Posted

Been feeling very giddy and stomach pains. I haven't been vomitting loads like you do with food posioning but it is thick and black. Been sweating when I throw up too.
  • Posted

Hello Graham

Firstly, if by BPD you mean Bipolar Disease, then I understand that SSRIs such as Venlafaxine can make it worse, especially if you are not taking a mood stabiliser such as lithium at the same time. This is something that you might want to discuss with your GP, since MH have discharged you.

I was on Venlafaxine for about 9 years (I stopped for a while, but I now take Sertraline), and I also suffered from horrible nightmares, as did a friend of mine who was also on Ven. at the same time.  I don't know whether the nightmares are caused by the illness, or by the drugs, but I still have them.

As far as I know, SSRIs don't tend to cause people to vomit black stuff - it sounds as if you have some bleeding from your upper gastrointestinal tract - and you need to take that seriously.  Are you also taking any over-the-counter anti-inflammatory (NSAIDs), such as Ibuprofen or aspirin, or prescribed ones, such as Diclofenac?  These can cause gastric bleeding, which tends to present as either black, tarry sort of stuff, or something that looks like coffee grounds in the vomit. 

I agree with the previous two posts - you need to have this attended to asap.  It is important.  If you can't bear a trip to A & E, then do at least make an urgent appointment with your GP tomorrow morning, but to be honest, you really need to go to A & E, especially if you haven't had this happen before.

Karen is right, at least you will know that anything serious is being considered, and it will help to put your mind at rest if there is nothing much to worry about.

Ten pm is often a fairly quiet time in A & E on a Sunday (I used to work in one!), so it might be sensible to get yourself there, preferably with a friend to look after you.

I am so sorry that you are still feeling awful despite the med.s.

Please let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

M x

• Posted

its borderline personality disorder. I will call g.p tomorrow. I have stopped vomittng at the moment.

I did take some paracetamol yesterday evening for a headache

thank you for all your help x

• Posted

Hello Graham

I am glad that you have stopped vomiting - it is probably safe to wait till tomorrow morning to call your GP, but do tell the receptionist/ triage nurse or whoever that you think you may have been vomiting blood - they will take you very seriously.

If it starts again in the night - just call an ambulance. It is perfectly reasonable to do so. 

Paracetamol doesn't usually cause gastric problems - so it should be safe to take.

Sleep well tonight - remember that you are amongst so many wonderful people that also suffer from these horrible depressive conditions.  Winston Churchill, for example. 

Do let me know how you get on, if you feel like it,

M x

• Posted

Don't want to alarm you but I advise getting to doctors or a & e as soon as poss. Venlafaxine can cause excessive bleeding and one sign of that could be black vomit from digested blood in the stomach. Just a possibility.
  • Posted

Been to doctor. Sending me to a&e. He said my blood pressure was high and pulse rate more than normal x
    • Posted

Glad you're getting it investigated. My doc wants to see me because my blood pressure is too high, but the apptmt isn't for another 2 weeks. In meantime, I'll be watching out for other symptoms. I'm trying to reduce the antidepressants (225mg venlafaxine & 30mg mirtazapine) which would help if I could do it, but it's making me feel too peculiar. Psychiatrist said reduce mirtazapine on alternate days, but I've not been able to do it. I'm going to reduce it one day a week, and take it from there if I can tolerate that. I hope you get the problem sorted.
    • Posted

I hope it is not serious and they are able to help you. Please let us know what happens.
    • Posted

I am so glad that you manage to see a GP, and that he/ she was concerned enough to send you to A & E.  I hope your time there wasn't too traumatic, and that you are OK ... take care

M x

• Posted

That is madness you have to wait all that time. I have cut my venlafaxine down by half. its only been a few days so will have to see what effect it has. So far I haven't brought up any blood.
    • Posted

Well I'm glad you are still OK. I've gone back to 30mg mirtazapine for the moment because I got really Ill. Actually I think I might have a virus because I'm exhausted by every thing I do. Anyway I'll wait til I feel better to try again. Took my blood pressure this morning, 150/85 so not dangerously high.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.