Venlafaxine 375 mg per day

Posted , 11 users are following.

I suffer from recurrent moderately severe depression. Ive been on Venlafaxine for about a year now. Previously I was taking the \"Californian Cocktail\" of Citalopram and mirtazipine but the weight gain of 3 stones and sedation to the point of regularly falling asleep at my workdesk and whilst driving convinced me it was not [i:27a2521d53]really[/i:27a2521d53] for me - though it did relieve my depression. :lol:

My current dosage of venlafaxine is 375 mg per day (thats five 75mg slow release caps) having read through most of the posts here I cannot find anyone on this level of dosage.

Am I a lab rat for an experimental psychiatrist? :shock:

My depression has largely been under control for most of this last year on Vn and the worst side effect, after the first two weeks, has been in the bedroom department :oops: but I am concerned at the long term health implications of this medication. Also and over the last 2 months my depression has slowly been returning which has prompted me to return to my psychiatrist.

Has anyone else had a similar experience of using Vn for a long period at this high dosage?

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I'm on 225mg...apparently the maximum dose they can prescribe you is sort of also related to your weight or mass...from what I gathered from the ramblings of my psychiatrist. This was the highest dose he would prescribe me because of my 'small' body.

Hope that was of some help. :roll:

• Posted

Hi there,

I am also on 375mgs but my shrink is looking at actually increasing to 600mgs which is well above the normal dose, but once I get in a better mood reduce it again to a maintanence dose. So far the only side affect I have is an increase in my Blood pressure which I am now controlling with a anti-hypertensive drug, so I suppose I m quite lucky in that respect, so I do not think you are a guinepig - keep going if it is helping

Take care

• Posted

Hi there, I am interested to read some people are on higher doses of this drug. I am on 300mg per day and have been for a while - however when I took my prescription to the Pharmacist yesterday they refused to give me the medication before speaking to my GP as they said it was too high! i appreciate they were just being careful and going by what BNF general advice is, but they left me with no medication saying they woul dnot even give me a couple of days worth until the issue resolved. Last thing I needed after a long rubbish day at work - luckily my Dad was visiting and so after speaking to the Pharmacy Manager (Tesco) today got them to agree to hand over a couple of days worth of medication.

Anyone else had this sort of problem before? Frankly I do not want to be made to reduce my dose as I still have recurring bouts of depression including just recently.

• Posted

That is disgusting! Leaving you with no meds! They're supposed to dispense what the medical doctor has prescribed. I'd be making a formal complaint!!! Xx

• Posted

Im taking 375mg of venlafaxine been on that dose a couple of weeks. The thing is im feeling suicidal a lot and my behaviour is up then down.  Due to thos ive losy a very close friend as I messaged some nasty comments. This eas the fear of rejection now I made it happen. Feels like im never going to get better. sad
    • Posted

Sorry you're having such a bad time Kelly ?? depression can make life so hard. Can you send an apology and tell them how you're feeling/I'll?? Xx

• Posted

Results 1 - 20 of 16183 for Hi I was on this dose for months with no health checks carried out the whole time I was on it. I thought it was working but realise now that it made my depression much worse with suicidal thoughts being constantly on my mind. I wouldn't recommend this medication after speaking with a pharmacist we both found that due to this medication we had both attempted suicide. Which meant having to go 'cold turkey' off the medication. This has been the worst time of my life the withdrawal symptoms were horrendous. Vomiting, splitting headache unable to keep anything down and pain throughout the entire body. If you are taking this medication ( especially at the high dose) please make sure your blood pressure, heart rate etc are being monitored regularly..  Search took 0.92seconds
  • Posted

Iv had a choking phobia from the age of 11 i ran for the school bus and choked on a boiled sweet so iv had 24:7 care since them which has made me agoraphobic im now 30 and have tried every medication known in the uk, im not on 300mg of venlafaxine and its just the best but yesterday the doctor has moved me up to 375mg but im only starting them today so i hope im not as ill as i was when i was moved up from 225mg to 300mg i was dizzy and quite ill till i used to it, i have bevef had a problem with getting my medication like people have mentioned in here, you need to stick with the same pharmacy then they get to know what meds your on x
  • Posted

Hi I've been taking vn now for around 10 years my dosage is 375mg daily,and I find that after all this time my body is gotten used to it over the last few months I've noticed my moods have been up and down rapid cycling happy sad constantly my libido has gone completely my relationship is going bad I've tried other meds to try and help but to no avail my friendships have suffered I've have social anxiety,my job is on the line iam worring about the slightest thing I've no motivation anymore I've had dizzy spells hallucinations hearing things the list is endless iam scared to come off them because I will go into meltdown so I can relate my friend...my life is a living hell....John price ...

• Posted

Dear John,

​I have just read your post. I hope you are hanging in there.

​I have been on anti-depressants for 18 years now. Currently on 150 mgs Venlafaxine, along with 30 mgs Mirtazapine, 75 mgs Pregabalin and 50 - 100 mgs Trazodone. I have found that the depression is certainly helped by the meds, but not the anxiety, really, although I am hoping that the Ven will improve the anxiety (have only been on Ven for about six weeks).

​I can really relate, and I am rooting for you. Things WILL get better, although it may be hard to believe, at the moment. I have had a couple of half-hearted attempts at suicide: I got extremely ground down by persistent insomnia, severe depression and anxiety. The suicide attempts were not a real desire to end my life; I just wanted an escape from it all. I will keep on going. Please keep posting. Many of us on here know how difficult things can be. My heart goes out to you. Amanda

• Posted

Hi I take venlafaxine 150 xl x3 p/d = 450mg I've been on this for years (6)  I'm also taking Trazadone 100mg x 2= p/d I'm like a walking zombie. Also I take Diazepam 5mg as & when needed sometimes I can take 8-10 during the day.  I feel like a guinea pig too.  My anxiety is the worst & all my phycyitrists wants me to do is sleep. I see her every 6weeks. 😥

• Posted

Hi I was on 375mg for over a year. I was on it for depression. I was sweating really badly as a side effect and have put on 6st since last year. As a result of the sweating my doctor has reduced me to 300mg then 275mg. Now she's going to reduce me to 225mg. No side effects so  far but I'm afraid there will be which is frightening me as I'm feeling  good but panicking incase there are any side effects of reducing my meds. If 375mg is working for you I'd say stay on it fir as long as your feeling ok and then down the line try reducing it. 

• Posted

Hello my name is Claire and I also take 375mg vanlafaxine and have been on them for over 6 years . My worse side effect is sweating . I will say the vanlafaxine has help me . But when I began taking them my depression kept creeping back up on me and everything my medication was put up a dose . I sometimes get a pulse like feeling all over my body but the sweating would be the worse thing for me I can sweat when doing nothing ..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.