Venlafaxine

Posted , 5 users are following.

Started this drug a few months ago and I've put on so much weight (2 stone).

Has anyone else put on weight using this drug and will it fall off. If not anyone recommend a weight loss diet.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes I did but about 1 stone, struggling to lose it - even after stopping ven.

Was overweight already so this has really knocked me for 6.

Eat really healthily but drink too much!!

Reckon if you stick to a good diet - whether weight watchers or slimming world you will be fine.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, I didn't think about slimming world, I'll give this a go thanks smile

• Posted

Hi this is the worst side effect by far. I went mental with it had a relapse constant battling not to eat ..I went on a no carb diet to get it off .. which isn't good for u if your suffering from bipolar or real bad depression as need certain foods to stable your moods. I found that out also while doing the diet. I researched this med ..u crave because it's a antihestimines blocker.. so I do believe itl never lift. I couldn't stop eating jelly sweets shortly after takin my pill at night.. I kept all other carbs out of my diet .

• Posted

Hi Sharon

Thanks for replying, it's nice to hear I'm not the only one. I suffer with depression and anxiety for about 10 years, I'm now 37 and still haven't found a drug that works sad. However I've been searching and have come across some information about T3. This sounds promising, so fingers crossed I'm going to ask my doc about this.

• Posted

Hi Neil .. this site is great for giving you peace of mind .. its amazing what you find out.. Iv been suffering since the age of 13 ?? I don't feel il ever find the right meds I'm 44 now..bt I'm stable .. I have alot more low days than good days.. but have well & truly have come to live with it. I have bipolar & severe depression I believe developed over the years with not having propa help. Iv only had 2 panic attacks in the last 2yrs .. so that's good.. Sooooo what's this T3 about ?? I'm intrigued ??

• Posted

Hi Sharon

I suffer severe depression, I've not had a bad episode for years but still get the odd day. I went to see a councillor and have been back forth for about 5 years. He tried me on Strattera which is to treat ADHD in adults. I don't have ADHD but they help to calm the 'mania' episodes. For the first 2 years these were great and felt like new!. For some reason they don't work anymore so I'm on Ven. Sorry I'm woffling on again smile anyway T3 (Triiodothyronine) is a hormone replacement supplement https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triiodothyronine.

Thanks x

• Posted

Hi Neil, I have had the same issue, weight piled on really quickly! I have had mixed reviews, the weight really upset me to begin with but are you feeling ok mentally? I do after getting off that horrible drug, just try and keep reasonably healthy and active, I got a Fitbit it helps me it gives you a focus too. Xx
    • Posted

Hi Jane

Mentally - to be honest I'm not sure. This drug (unless there's something else) is making me really tired all the time. I take naps now during the day as I'm so exhausted, I'm a bit like a zombie. I'm on the sick at the moment and need to get back to work but not sure if I can.

Thanks for asking

Neil

xxx

• Posted

Neil I would try to taper off them, they made me unwell to put it mildly. I was the same, what dose are you? I slept a lot with them, the withdrawal off them are horrific.xx
    • Posted

What sort of side affects did you have, I've also developed a pain in my leg which was. Ever there before and I haven't done anything to it xxx

• Posted

Vertigo, tinnitus, brain zaps, general tiredness and cold/flu symptoms for over a week when I stopped, I tapered down but after my last 37.5 dose I was so unwell. I couldn't comment on your leg, perhaps best to chat with a gp regarding that also, see if he can taper you with diazepam.xx

• Posted

Thanks Jane I need to speak with my councillor, I think that's one drug I've never been on. I'm also taking Mirtazipine and Pregablin. The Ven has been increased to 75mg x 3 per day.

Thanks

Neil xx

• Posted

I started at 37.5, I was there for six months then went up to 75mg and I feel good there.  This is my first time on any sort of med at all, I take it for anxiety and PTSD.  I found that when my dosage was doubled, I was left without energy or the want to do anything for about two weeks and I did gain some weight from sitting around.  Once I got my energy back after the two weeks, I was able to take off some weight.  Weight gain is not a side affect of the drug but listlessness is.  That may make you gain some weight.  I gained some but was able to loose it by eating properly and exercizing. 
    • Posted

Hey Natesmom

What drugs have you taken which have been the most effective for you.

I want to try and one off Ven but will need a replacement but don't know what to suggest to my councillor. Everything he's put me on over the last 5 years hasn't worked. The only drug that kind of helped was Strattera which is for ADHD which I don't have but helped my depression. After a few years this stopped working.

I've been on Ven for approx 6/8 weeks but how long does it take for this to work properly and side effects subsidie.

Thanks

Neil xx

• Posted

Hi Neil,

The only other drug I was ever on was Paxil and it was aweful.  I ended up having pneumonia because I slept too much.  It knocks you out, don't do it. I think my doc tried that first because he thought I was depressed however, I already had a dianosis from a psychologist of PTSD and severe Anxiety.  Venlafaxine is a first line drug for PTSD.  I've basically had no side effects except dry mouth

It doesn't make sense to me that you have to suggest one to the counsellor, don't they know what you need?  Maybe you need a second opinion from a different doctor?

• Posted

Hi there Nate's mum do you have a first name smile

I didn't know you could get pneumonia from sleeping too much, that's all I've been doing lately because of Ven.

I've tried loads of different drugs and can't say any really work. I just hope Ven does because I've been taking it 3 x 75gm a day now for 6 weeks, all it's done is given me is a aching leg, 2stone heavier and sleep all the time. I'm also taking Pregablin and Mirtazipine.

I'm sorry you got PTSD and if you want to talk about it just let know. I don't know why I have depression nothing really bad has happened to me. Doc thinks I'm just not producing enough serotonin.

thanks

Neil xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.