Venlafaxine

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am currently taking 75mg of venlafaxine xl for depression and anxiety. I have been taking this for 2 weeks. I'm feeling very shakey and not sure if it's the medication doing this. Has anybody else experienced this?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Clare hope you well ! I've been on these for a few years now and I take 300mg a day 😐 If you give them time they will work once they get into yoir system .but to be honest I would ask the doctor to change your tablets .

Do your research these tablets are the hardest tablets to come off of ! The side effects are terrible I don't know why they prescribe them ! Having said that I was in a very bad way and they sorted me out completely now I want off of them I can't it's driving me mad ! I hope this helps x take care x

• Posted

Thanks Peter, I have read a lot about this medication and it seems you are right and they are very hard to come off.

I've also heard they are very good though and so if they work for me then I'm happy to stay on them for life if I have to.

I have been very unwell for the past few months and nothing else has touched my depression and anxiety.

Just want something to work as I'm so fed up of feeling like this.

• Posted

Ok well don't give up there's always a way though things even though sometimes you can't see it . Trust me I've there and some !! It's taking me a long time and a lot of hard work bit you will get there don't give up x

• Posted

Were you shakey before starting the Ven? An did Dr START you on 75mg?!! Usually a Dr (really should be a psychiatrist because they know more about the meds an the different mental illnesses. Kinda like a patient going to a M.D. for eye exam?! Pt should go to a eye Dr. not an M.D.) starts on 37.5mg then goes up. This med is strong. The half life of Ven is 4 hrs. Which means half of 1 pill is in your system in 4 hrs. Prozac or Fluxotine takes forever to get in your system. Its half life is 36 hrs! So that would why Venaflaxine is very hard to come off. Because its out of your system faster than say Prozac. Shorter half life, harder withdrawls will be an will come fast if one pill missed. Compared to Prozac. I was on Ven for almost 6 wks at only 37.5mg. Im very sensitive apparently to these antidepressants. Ven was med #8 for me. Im on day 14 of being off. I started opening the capsules an counted how many beads in a capsule. Around 25 i think. I would take like 5 out at a time. Did that for a wk then just stopped. Yes, I have had some not so nice withdrawls. Dizzy. Increased agitation, more crying but now no apathy. Muscle pain all over. Headache. Lethargy. Thats About it. But I was on 5 wks. Its alot worse when on longer an higher dose. I would discourage anyone fr stopping Venaflaxine cold turkey. I stopped because really not much mental help an started wide spread body pain to point I didn't even want to get out of bed. I have fibromyalgia also an it seemed to increase my pain with it. I felt horrible physically. Mentally kinda numb. I was on Celexa but couldn't take that either. Severe side effects so psychiatrist switched immediately to 37.5mg Effexor xr next day. Ii was on Celexa for 6 wks. Aweful! Prozac was pretty bad. Cymbalta wasn't bad. Just had no energy and it was causing family probs with me just laying around an not caringvabout a darn thing! Withdraw fr Cymbalta first time was bad. I wanted to chop my head off. It was worse for me than Ven. So maybe you should ask Dr why starting you on 75 not 37.5mg. Low an slow is best to avoid severe start up side effects where you just want to stop taking it. Instead low an slow to minimize the effects. You will have start up side effects fr any drug. Some are worse than others. Now I dont know what to do. Im not on anything an feel the black cloud coming, creeping in. It's really discouraging. 8 meds an not one I can handle or take. Zoloft was only one where after 5 wks litterly a light bulb was switched to my old happy self. Had energy an happy! But after 2 an half mnths, i was soooo sick physically. I looked like a skeleton. Severe anorexia (not eating disorder) i wasn't or couldn't eat. Severe liver area pain an pancreatic pain. Upper back pain like knifes. Diarrhea. Everyday! Increase in anxiety but slowly started to control it. I had bloodwork done because of upper rt quadrant pain. Showed liver enzymes had gone way up which would explain all the pain. So I had to stop it because it was causing inflammation of liver. I was bummed. After that, never have found one I can take or works mentally. Goodluck on the Ven. Be sure an watch out for low sodium.

Zio in USA

• Posted

I was on sertraline before this and I was a bit shakey on that as well which was one of the reasons I changed medication.

It was a physiatrist that put me on this medication not a GP.

I am scared of staying on this for a few weeks and it turning out to not be the right one then I will have a problem getting back off it.

• Posted

I've been on 75mg for over 10 years now. When I first started taking venlafaxine I felt shakey and sweated a lot. This lasted for about a month and then I felt a lot better. It was definitely worth it for me to stick with it.

• Posted

Thanks John. Are you on the XL version? Have you ever gone above 75mg?
    • Posted

Yes Clare on the xl version. Always stuck on 75mg.Have been on other anti depressants in the past but venlafaxine has suited me the best.
  • Posted

Hi Clare, You and I seem to be going through the same journey, I remember you from the sertraline group and what a difficult time you've been having. I eventually had to come off sertraline too and start venlafaxine tomorrow, I k ow we can get through this because I've done it before,it's just the process we have to go through to get well that is so very difficult, I hope you start to feel the benefits of this med very soon,I have high hopes for this tablet because I've been told how good it is so I actually asked my doctor if I could try it , let's look forward to having a peaceful and carefree summer ,onwards and upwards 😀😀

• Posted

Hi Trina,

Sorry to see your still struggling. It's awful isn't it.

How long did you stay on sertraline for and on what dose?

I have also heard good things about this but also that it's a bitch to come off if it doesn't agree with you.

I've been feeling like this for months and I'm just sick of it. Xx

• Posted

Yeah it's the pits,I was on sertraline for 3 months,started on 50 mg and finished up on 200 mg plus 160mg propanolol but I felt really bad with the side effects, breathless all the time and the same thoughts going round in my head, it's a vicious circle, while I was coming off it I started to feel a bit better,but I think it was because I knew my meds would be changed, I have mixed feeling about coming on the forum because sometimes it can bring the anxiety on me even though it sometimes helps as well Today is the first day without anti depressants and already my stomach is turning I feel like I'm going to explode,so I am going to get up and do something to take my mind off it, I can't? wait to start the venlafaxine tomorrow?, one day closer to recovery hopefully, sorry for nattering on x

• Posted

Don't apologise it's fine! We can hopefully support each other. What dose are you starting on? X

• Posted

37.5 x 2 a day 40 mg propanolol x1 and 10ml promazine at night fingers crossed lol x
    • Posted

Hi trina

How are you doing now? I've just been prescribed vex, I've been on citalopram for a couple of months after weaning myself off previously, this time I don't think they worked for me. I tried sertraline before going back on citalopram and had awful anxiety so had to come off.

Worried about starting a new one, like you jut want one that works.

• Posted

Hiya Nicola, sorry for the delay in responding, i am doing really well on venlafaxine,my mood is improving, the anxiety is massively reduced and am quite optimistic, just a little nervous about it not lasting, i have still got insomnia but i can cope

with that as long as I'm not anxious,also when i am in bed my legs twitch a lot, but hey that's nothing compared to how i was.I really hope that you start to feel as i do soon and that venlafaxine is the one for you, try to think positive and don't be afraid you might be pleasantly surprised and start feeling better soon. I put all my faith in venlafaxine so hope it keeps me stable. Keep me posted on your progress please, i still come on the forum but i haven't posted anything for a while. Good luck Nicola and you can message me anytime x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.