Venlafaxine 6 weeks on no better

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone, I’m supporting my partner who has been suffering from GAD since childhood and was on Citalopram for 13 years till it pooped out at Christmas when he had a depressive episode and ended up on Sertraline for 12 weeks which was horrendous. He had agitation, insomnia and increased depression and anxiety. He’s since switched to Venlafaxine via his Psychiatrist 6 weeks ago. 37.5 for 2 weeks and 75 for 4. It seemed to be working at first but 6 weeks on the insomnia has returned and he’s back to feeling depressed and tearful. Can anyone advise if things may improve or should he go up a dose, he’s losing all hope anything will work and is terrified he will lose his job as he’s now on half pay.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I think he probably needs to up the dose. 75mg is a really low dose. I'm on 375mg for the last few weeks and think I may now be seeing an improvement.

• Posted

Thanks Lucy, that's my view as well but the Pharmacist he's seeing wants to take things slow and it's very frustrating as he can't get any help from the doctors anymore as they don't prescribe Venlafaxine. Do you know if ER is more effective than IR?

• Posted

I'm not sure. I'm on ER, have not had the IR ones.

Are you in the UK? Why don't the doctor's prescribe venlafaxine?

• Posted

Yes in the UK, the doctor only prescribes 3 drugs all SSRIs, no idea why and the pharmacist seems reluctant to give the ER one which is supposed to be for GAD, i'm wondering if it's more expensive..

• Posted

That's really bizarre. I don't think it's any more expensive than any others. SSRI's don't work for everyone so it's ridiculous that the GP will only prescribe them.

I'd either be changing doctors or putting in a complaint. So how is he getting the venlafaxine currently?

• Posted

It's prescribed from the Pharmacist via hisPsychiatrist. Think a change in doctor is needed as if this doesn't work, the doctor will be of no use, they seemed clueless anyway!

• Posted

The pharmacist, can only give what has been prescribed by the Phychiatrist. And they are the best person to prescribe these type of drugs, rather than the GP. Anyway. I don't think many GP's know enough about mental health anyway. They are 'General' practicioners afterall. But it is also strange that this GP will only prescribe 3! I've never heard that before, and I'm in the UK. As different drugs have different properties. 

• Posted

Hi lucy. Sorry for jumping on to the post but i take 300mg and still very tired with anxiety and depression that drops in through the day like w yoyo. My dr says try 375mg is there really hope in that last 75mg push (dr said that would be a max)

Louise i think its so nice that uv joined here to help your partner, its not easy to support people when their mental health is bad but its dreadful to go through depression and often it has no cause. As lucy said 75mg is very low but unfortunately these things are slow going. I started 75mg in august 2016 and its now at 300mg (thinking about it thats stupidly slow but i only see my psychiatrist every 8 weeks)

• Posted

Hi Louise. It takes awhile for these meds to work. I was on V for 7 plus yrs and ine day I felt really crappy and thought it had stopped working. Thus began a 2 plus year battle with Anti D's. Well I went off them altogether and life didnt improve much!!! So my doc put me back on Ven. Felt better at first but then felt crappy. Stuff took about 10 weeks to work. I'm feeling normal again. So tell your partner to hang in there. He will be better but it just takes awhile. And good in you for supporting him!!!!!!

• Posted

Hi John, when you went back on it, how quick di you up your dosages? With Sertraline it was upped really fast and was a nightmare and this time more sesibly slower, just wondering if their will be improvements on 75mg as it has been very up and down since he started it.  Glad you're much better now, gives me hope he will be soon.

• Posted

Hi LOuise. I'm still at 37.5--the lowest dose. I prefer to exercise and watch my diet than to go on a higher dose. And think positive also. Assure him things will get better!!!!!

• Posted

He exercises loads and eats well, but the negative thinking goes with the GAD so that's the biggest problem. i do encourage and try to get him to think positively but easier said than done!

• Posted

Hi Louise

Is he having any therapy alongside the venlafaxine?

• Posted

Yes waited 7 months for CBT and so far not been very good. He's had it before and i'm sure he only gets about 6 sessions which is disappointing.

• Posted

Hi, I haven't read the other replies yet. But that's a lot of changes in a short time. Most drugs like this. Have to be reduced slowly. And a new one started on a low dose and gradually increased. If this has not happened then it's no wonder,he is feeling like this. I'm not clear, if he stopped the citalopram or is still on it, and these have been added, or they are instead of. There are many side effects to these type of drugs. And it can take time to get in your system. The best person to talk to is his Phychiatrist. And he has the added stress about his job. His employer has to make allowance's for mental health. And the Phychiatrist could write a letter for him

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.