Venlafaxine

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I have been prescribed venlafaxine but frightened to take it in case I get side affects. Doe it really help anxiety

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It helped me. As with all antidepressants there are a few weeks before they start to work and things can get a bit worse to start with. I was on 75mg for a year and they made me feel very relaxed. The only problem I had with them once things settled was they made me sweat more than normal.

• Posted

We are all different in way we react to drugs but I've never had any side effects that I have been aware of. I had been taking Citalopran for a couple of years but due to a crisis at work I felt it had stopped working for me. I was feeling very anxious with racing and obsessive thoughts and sleeping badly. Within a few days of starting venlafaxine I started to feel much calmer. I've now been taking it for two years and feel it has really helped me to get through some traumatic events. My mood swings are mostly a thing of the past, I sleep well and wake up feeling happy most of the time. I know it's addictive but think it's an acceptable risk, especially as I haven't needed to increase the dose at all.

• Posted

I’ve suffered for 15 years with anxiety, panic, depression.  Had sertraline and citalipram, no great change with those.  I started venlafaxine in May and it’s the only thing that’s really worked for me. I feel happy and confident, the best I’ve felt in a long time.  I haven’t had any side effects apart from a dry mouth which I can live with.  Everyone is different, but it’s been the best for me.
  • Posted

Hi.

Ive been on this for 18 months, it has certainly helped me after various other medication hadn't really helped. Although my main problem is depression, with bouts of anxiety.

eveyone reacts to medication differently, but personally I'd give them a go, they may just change your life. 

• Posted

Hi Kazza,

Yes, it does help, but there are a few things you should be aware of. Firstly, and perhaps most importantly, you have to realize that at first it can, and often does, make your anxiety worse not better. this is in the literature that comes with the drug, which you should read carefully. This effect can last 1 - 2 weeks or longer, and will cause you to doubt whether it's working. Be reassured -eventually it does help. Secondly, don't expect to see any benefits from the drug for at least 6 - 8 weeks, it's a long time I know, but recovering from anxiety/depression is a matter of time, and in the end you will. Side effects can be pretty upsetting and vary from person to person. Headaches, frequency of urination were (and still are) the worst in my case, but eventually they do ease.

Dose is important, and particularly any increases in dosage should be managed carefully. In my case I started on 75mg per day, and increased after two weeks to 150mg per day, then after some time to 225mg per day. Some excellent advice from others on this forum (especially Purpledoberman) has convinced me that increasing in 75mg steps is too much - try to convince your GP to increase slowly, 37.5mg steps with reviews every two weeks until you reach the right dose for you when things should start to settle down.

You should also ensure that you are put on the extended release version of the drug - in my opinion and experience as a user much better - I believe this is the preferred approach now.

It sounds like a long haul to recovery - and it is - but be strong and tough it out. You WILL get better, hang on to that thought and try to be positive.

Good luck, Kazza, and take care,

Mike

• Posted

I believe that only the extended release version is available in the uk now. I know for some people it takes weeks to work and can make symptoms worse initially but it wasn't like that for me. With anxiety it's hard to be sure whether symptoms are drug related or part of the illness anyway. Perhaps it had a placebo effect on me, I only know that it did start to help me quite quickly and I didn't get worse. In the two years I've been taking it I've been happier than I've been in years. I've split up from my husband of 44 years in the most traumatic circumstances but have been able to cope with it all with perfectly normal grief reactions which I could cope with. I'm sure the drug contributed enormously to that.

April

• Posted

Kazza72 you sound like me. I was given this to from my doctor for anxiety and I waited for a month to take it. Yes it has helped me a lot!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.