venlafaxine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi having read all of your inspiring posts, i am looking for some advice from all out there, bit of back round, 6 years ago i was on the edge with suicidal tendencies, i was prescribed ven to help me through it, among other medication, i have been taking 225 mg all this time and want to be rid of it for good.

my wife and children who were very young at the time stopped me from being stupid, i wonder if anyone can help me with this situation as i would like to taper down the medication to try and minimize the withdrawal symptoms, as i have sympathy with others because of experience.

any advise would be greatly received

Andy a desperate man

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Andy, first, if you feel good on the medication, why do you want to stop? That's the trap of being on these types of medications. We feel so good after a while thinking we don't need to take them anymore. With that being said evaluate how you really feel and if weaning off venlafaxine is worth it. I did wean off in August to start Lexapro. I didn't want to but my generic brand of Venlafaxine was discontinued and substituted with a different generic that didn't work. I began having breakthrough anxiety after about 2 weeks on the second generic. I had to completely wean off before taking Lexapro to reduce my chances of having that seratonin syndrome .... So what I did was I took my regular dose every other day for about a week then I tried to stretch it to every 2 days. I would get dizzy spells and brain zaps in between so I would cut my regular dose in half whenever that happened. But I still continued stretching it out to 3 days then 4 days with half doses occasionally in between. All in all it took me two months to wean off. When it did start the Lexapro and was on it for 10 weeks I had an adverse reaction to it in that my anxiety got extremely worse and never let up. So I'm back on Effexor XR name brand. I feel like a better version of myself on it. So that's why I'm asking you to reevaluate your situation and decide if maybe cutting back to a lower dose would still be beneficial to. Good luck and let me know how you do!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.