Venlafaxine

Posted , 4 users are following.

is this drug good for anxiety disorders and panic attacks. Been on it for 10 days four at 37.5 and 7 at 75XL. When does it usually kick in?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Lynn.

Yes can be great for anxiety. Like all tablets it may not work for you and you might have to toy with tablets a bit.

It can take up to 4 weeks before it kicks in and you start feeling the effects.

Doctor is doing the right thing taking you up slowly in dose to avoid lots of side effects and all tablets have them.

Remember to take at the same time each day. It disappears rapidly from your bloodstream and will cause nasty side effects quite quickly.

Hope you feel better soon

Cheers Linda

• Posted

It works for me I am on 2x150mg slow release certainly noticed difference when changed from immediate release to slow but you do have to take it at the same time each day it took roughly 6 to 8 weeks for me but I did have a lot of messing about with others meds before finding this one worked ,it also has a gradual effect you suddenly realise you are feeling better and doing things.all the best Lynn Just be assured YOU WILL GET BETTER xxxxx

• Posted

I have been on 75 for a week will it take about a month to see improvement
  • Posted

Yes lynn it can take anything from 6 to 8 weeks ,sometimes more when I have read some letters on here . Do not be down hearted though It has to adjust in your body/brain .also I found slow release better than immediate release . I used to tell myself it took a while to go down so it will take. While to get better and you will .i know that feeling of desperation is so strong atimes due to the anxiety of it all .There are lots of us out here rooting for you lynn take care .xxx

• Posted

Thanks Dawn was your anxiety real bad in the beginning 
    • Posted

Did you take any anti anxiety meds before it kicked in
    • Posted

Hi lynn yes my anxiety was so bad I really did not want to live like it any more .I was on anxiety meds in the beginning which helped keep me calm I hated taking them as I felt I was not in control but I relaxed towards it with help of Cbt I was referred by the doctor been a long journey but I have come through as you will too give yourself time do not be hard on yourself I always remember somebody saying to me you would not treat your friend in such a way as you treat yourself take care xxxx

• Posted

My doctor has given me Klonopin taking .5 2twice a day as needed afraid of addition how long did you need them before venlafaxine kicked in
    • Posted

It was about 2 months regular use then as and when I needed you just realise one day you have not needed them so difficult to say on last bit but overall not long normal life kicks in,I still think of how bad I was but it does not get me anxious as when it was bad I just couldn't imagine myself well.i am back at work now full time. That took me about two months to achieve that starting off  part time in January this year they call it graduating return I thought I could never see myself working again ever when I was ill so give it time lynn don,t fret easier said than done I know ,give yourself time relax towards it .xxxxxx

• Posted

Which anti anxiety drug were you on and how much. Do you live in the states?
    • Posted

I was on 5 mg diazepam as and when I needed .I live in uk.xxx

• Posted

Did you have moderate depression too. Seems as the anxiety lessens the depression comes through. Were you able to cry much?
    • Posted

No I had severe depression and anxiety.I cried a lot horrible time 
    • Posted

Lynn I cried all the time for about 7 days it was my neighbour who ended up phoning my doctor saying she'd found me in a terrible state and I needed immediate care the mental health crisis team were called out gave me 5mg of diazipram too take 3 times a day upped my venlafaxine to 2 75mg a day from 37.5mg a day also gave me sleeping tablets for a week I never slept for 3 weeks or ate for a week I'm now down too no sleeping tablets n only a half of a diazapam tablet at night only hope this helps xx

• Posted

Thank you Karen for sharing I am dealing with some side headache today yesterday felt better. I am glad you are well, 12 days in for me at 75xl

• Posted

Yes it did I honestly hv never experienced anything like it xx
    • Posted

So Dawn it has been a month on 75XL I should still give it more time. I also started mirtzapam 15mg for sleep

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.