Venlafaxine 75mg and Propanalol 10mg x2 would like some advice please

Posted , 4 users are following.

Anybody take these medicines together? I was prescribed the Beta blockers today to help anxiety symptoms but don't see much difference! I have been taking the Venlafaxine 75mg now for three weeks alongside my Mirtazapine 30mg which I take at night! My depression has lifted a lot since starting the Venlafaxine it has took me out of the dark hole I was in! But now I'm feeling anxious and have headaches which feels like a lot of pressure in my head! I just feel so weird! And have butterflies in my stomach which kicks off the anxiety feeling in my chest! I'm going to see psychiatrist again tomorrow regarding this! I don't want to come off the Venlafaxine as it has helped my depression so much and has made me feel me again! I just want this anxiety and the weird feeling to go away! I'm wondering if an increase in dosage would help this and make the side effects disappear! Would be grateful to hear comments xxx

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Charlotte I took propranolol with cotalopram before changing to venlafaxine I never found them any help at all and my psychiatrist prescribed me pregablin which has been great and I still take it now with the venlafaxine. I have some anxiety just now but I think it's the change of Meds and it's nowhere near as debilitating as it was. I would wake up shaking and sweating with total adrenaline rushing through me and pain in my chest I can laugh now I self diagnosed myself with tumours extra with every little twinge. I hope you get relief soon I know how hard it is I have a 3 year old and 10year old who is asking lots of questions and I've tried to hide it since he was 3 years. Xxx
  • Posted

Hi Charlotte.

I have no experience of all these drugs together but am 100% certain headaches are a side effect of venlofaxine, the higher the dose the more persistant they become. It certainly does not apply to everyone as with all the associated effects of venlofaxine but many on here have had the same.

I got used to the headaches but after nearly 5 years had had enough and am now weaning off and the headaches are subsiding with every decrease in dose.

I told my Doctor of the headache problem 3 years ago and he dismissed it but this week admitted it has " probably" been the case.

I do not deny that i needed venlofaxine but need not have been on it for so long so be very careful with it and take advice. Many people on this forum have far more knowledge of it than the Doctors who prescribe it through personal experience and are very helpful.

Ian

• Posted

hi,i have been on Ven for just over 2 weeks and day by day the side effects are subsiding.Started on 37.5 and just upped it to 75.Day by day i the side effects are subsiding (i think)I have a shke and am very jittery,have no energy and cannot really concentrate.I see the doc in 2 weeks + i think he'll up the dosage .IN the mean time i take it one day at a time.i was on mirt which was good for 6 months but then anx really came back so came off so  changed.Not the best time to change as wife now starting chemo in a few weeks -hopefully i'll be sort of normal by then.Headaches have increased aswell.Propanolol did nothing for me except make me sleepy.
    • Posted

Hi just been to see the psychatrist who has not made any changed to my meds the Venlafaxine or Mirtazapine as my mood has lifted a lot since starting the Venlafaxine! She says that the headaches and anxiety are a side effect of the Venlafaxine and I should give it a few more weeks to see if they subside she has prescribed me diazepam 5mg to take when I feel really bad! I just hope that these are side effects and that the anxiety will shift! What do you think? I just feel that is weird that I had no side effects for the first two weeks I felt great and now for the past four days I feel all anxious and jittery and have a constant headache xx
    • Posted

I have struggled with Ven and side effects are only just subsiding but still don't feel me.I am not at work and had to cancel 2 sessions with my CBT counsellor.Iam surprised that doc has given diazepam as my practice has basically banned benzo's and will NOT dispense them.By all account Ven takes some time to work so take it slow like me.Mirtazipine was instant with me -i thought it amazing but it pooped out after 6 months hence the change.You may do better on 150mg which my doc will prob put me up to in 2 weeks.
    • Posted

I was hoping for an increase today but they said no just ride it out! They have only gave me a weeks supply of diazepam 5mg to take when really needed! I'm not being reviewed now for 6 weeks but if I feel bad then to ring them up and they will see me sooner! She said that the increase in the dosage can increase the side effects so I think that's why they haven't upped my dose! I'm hoping that it will pass I need to try and be strong! Just this weird woozy feeling in my head is making me anxious but I suppose it's all the chemicals from the tabs xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.