Venlafaxine 75mg - panic disorder

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been on paroxatine 40mg for around 2 years now to treat panic disorder and anxiety to no effect and have recently changed to venlafaxine 75mg. When I was on paroxatine I was always tired and had no energy and never felt 100% 'normal'. Can I expect this to change while I'm on venlafaxine? Does it give you more energy? How long does it usually take to work? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jim, Most antidepressants take up to 6 weeks to begin working at full strength although you will notice a difference within a week generally.

Hard to say about energy levels as all tablets affect everyone slightly differently.

Hope all goes well for you.

Lin

• Posted

Hi Jim sorry you are suffering My need was for a serious depression about three years ago I was prescribed 75mg dose and took it for about 20 months I also attended 'talking therapy' over about six weeks I would say this helped to give a pattern to work to. I got over mine and reduced to 37.5 mg to withdraw. I'm not sure if it works as well with panic but the depression done make one very anxious about the normal everyday things All the best

• Posted

Hi Jim,

I've had both Paroxetene and Venlafaxine in the past, and didn't notice any extreme side effects in either case. You say the Paroxetene was to no effect, perhaps the tiredness and lack of energy was due more to your anxiety the the drug? I'm no expert, but I understand Venlafaxine is a more effective drug, it seems to be the NHS drug of choice. 75 mg is a low dose, I guess your doctor will up that in due course. I don't think it gives you more energy, and sad to say it can take 6 - 8 weeks to start being effective. Also it can worsen your mood for the first week or two. Side effects can be dire at first, dependent I think on your age, but stay with it, it's good, effective drug.

Stay strong,

Mike

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.