Venlafaxine and Ability success for depression?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi Everyone. Wondered if anyone on here has had success with the above combination? Having the worst depression I have ever had (Just diagnosed Bipolar 2). Didn't have success with Quetiapine (flattened emotions and slowed thoughts). Have noticed I'm calmer tday but can't get mood to lift. I'm very close to all my family but don't have my usual feelings and concerns for them ( have never had this before). Any success stories would be appreciated.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Think its abilify, sorry. On paper, it seems a good solution. Abilify is used for bi polar, as well as other things and as an add on for resistant depression, ie works well with an anti depressant, where anti depressant isnt quite doing it. The makers have since brought out a newer and supposedly better version, called rexulti. Whether rexulti is better is not yet known, but because its patent protected rexulti is very expensive. My friend had extreme anxiety, mild depression. Got up to 150mg of ven, wasnt quite doing it, although only on that dose for a few weeks, when rexulti was added. Within 3 weeks, she had significant improvements. Daily severe stomach cramps for last 8 months dissapeared, a couple of months on, shes more or less recovered, a complete turnaround, after a couple of failed attempts with other anti depressants It certainly worked for her anxiety, although think its more beneficial for depression. On paper, seems a very good option for you, as you are already on ven. Rexulti worked quickly. Rexulti and alibilfy are more or less the same thing.
    • Posted

Her anxiety was extreme.
    • Posted

Thank you Nigel. I had terrible anxiety and on 4th day of abilify (sorry autocorrect strikes again in my last post!) This is easing. Just waiting for emotions to catch up now. Have heard a couple of good reports on abilify's, speed in working. Some felt depression start to lift after first week but my psych said to allow 3 weeks. My psych has me on 10mg and wants to increase to 15mg in 3wks. I am currently on 75mg of ven. Not sure if 10mg is a high dose for Abilify?

• Posted

My friend did something similar with rexulti, 0.5mg then after 2 weeks, 1.0mg. 10mg and then 15mg are starting doses for bi polar on its own, as an addition to ven for depression only, they are a little higher than usual, so look spot on for you. All the best.
    • Posted

Thanks Nigel. All the best to you. You've been very kind and always supportive of the others on here. Such a good forum.

• Posted

If you have just stopped quetiapine you could be withdrawing from that too.

You cannot just keep changing dose and meds without your brain struggling. These are powerful drugs that need to be handled with care. I learnt this the hard way.

• Posted

Yes the first 2 days of switch from quetiapine to Ability were pretty horrendous. Psych wouldn't give me any meds to calm things as he didn't want anything else added as he wanted to determine which med was helping. Luckily after 2 days of pacing the floor and zero sleep it calmed down. Got a reasonable sleep last nite and 3 naps tday as so tired! The drop from 150mg to 75mg of ven 2wks ago wouldn't have helped either!

• Posted

Looks like quetiapine and abilify are used for the same reasons. Your mood is going to take some time to improve, and your lack of emotion suggests your depression is slightly worse. Its quite normal, i went through it myself 6 months ago. When your depression improves, your feelings will come back. Its a sort of selfishness, where your concern for your own well being takes priority. You still know how you should feel, you just dont feel it. Nothing to be alarmed by, apart from your depression hasnt improved. With 2 meds, and a change, unfortunately you have to accept how you are for now. You will recover, the meds are there, its a question of waiting until you find the right ones, and they work. Thats what kept me going.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.