Venlafaxine and body twitches

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been on 150mg Ven for 6 weeks.  Its not doing much to help with my EUPD / Anxiety or bulimia but it is causing my body to twitch. I get random twitches throughout the day, mainly in my upper body.  I get more of them when I'm tired.  Will this calm down the longer I am on it? My GP wants to up the dose in the next few weeks and im wondering if i'll be jumping around all day if I increase the dose!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Faye, I'd be inclined to insist on another medication and get off Effexor.

• Posted

I agree!  I was bulimic and Effexor never did a thing to stop it.  I finally stopped when I realized how much harm I was doing myself, and I had been bulimic from 16 years old to 43 years old!  Now I am trying to get off this drug with a very slow taper, after having been on it for 12 years and coming off too fast - protracted withdrawal ended with me back on it.  When I discovered how horrific coming off this drug was, I didn't want to be on ANYTHING that could cause that dependency.  People will say "ADs aren't addictive!"  Well, true in the sense that you don't develop cravings for it, but indeed they remodel your nerves such that you can't stop them too fast because then you are left with those modifications unopposed by the drug!  

I wish I had never gone down the path of using ADs 20 years ago.  We have so many other options at our finger tips.  Mindfulness meditation is one, and just realizing that spending time fretting over our past or worrying over future (even the later today or tomorrow) creates our own suffering, and we have a choice to engage in non-present thinking.  The past is a story and the we have no control over the future - all we have is this moment, so practice being present!  It takes work because thinking is such a habit!  Yes, we must think when it comes to "I need to go to the bank" or "what do I need at the store?" and the maneuverings through life, but spending time with negative thoughts serves no good purpose, other than to learn from the past.  Do not judge yourself!  Learn to accept yourself, the light side and the dark side, and be compassionate to yourself!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.