Venlafaxine and headaches

Posted , 7 users are following.

Does anyone else seem to get headaches two or three times a week or is it just me?

I suffer from migraines too and have had two since starting Venlafaxine beginning of April, and tend to get headaches at least 3 times a week.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Holly.

I have suffered head aches for forty years( i'm 50) but nothing i could'nt manage. I was prescribed 225mg of venlofaxine 5 years ago and during that time my headaches became worse to the point they were constant and intolerable.

Starting in april i slowly started to cut my dose with the advice of some good people on here who know far more about this drug than the Dr's who prescribe them and am now down to 150mg and almost ready for the next drop.

Anyway the point is since decreasing my headaches have improved and not everyday as they were. I'm know there is a link although my Dr denies it as if he knows i would be very interested to know how you're doing.

Interestingly you're the first to mention this on here but sure there are others who have'nt linked the two

Ian.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Ian.

I am only on the lowest dosage (75mg) but have had headaches more often since starting these tablets. I am only 29 yrs old but have had headaches since starting my job working at a desk all day on a computer, I got prescribed glasses which help but I still suffer with headaches. So maybe it is these tablets, gonna give it until end of week and see how I am, but might be worth going to doctor to see if I can possibly change medication.

• Posted

Hi

I never really thought it was because of the venlafaxine, but yes now that I think back I have had a lot of headaches whilst I have been on it. Migraines have been worse too. But not as bad as now when I'm coming off of them. I've just managed to half my daily dose to 37.5 in the morning only and until recently it wasn't too bad.

Hopefully another couple of months and I will be free of anti depressants for the first time in 19 years.

T.

• Posted

Hi Tracey.

So thats 3 of us, i'm sure there're are many more.

You're doing very well and dream of the day i'm free of them too. I wish i had seen the link ages ago and come off earlier. Already fèeling more alert as i have'nt got a constant headache.

Good luck to you, i would be interested to know how yor headaches are once you've come off.

Ian

• Posted

So there definitely is a link to headaches and Venlafaxine by the sounds of it. I can't half mine as I have the capsules not tablets.

I wish u all the luck in coming off them. smile xx

• Posted

I to suffer with migraines and take 150mg of the Ven. The only thing that cures mine are simitriptin. Paracetamol doesn't touch my headaches. Think it is one of the side effects. I tend to go through spells where I don't get as many but sometimes they can be for 4 days. If they turn in to migraines only a dark room with cold flannel on forehead helps x
    • Posted

Hi Elaine,

Can you get the simitriptin from Pharmacy or do u have to get it prescribed? Migraines are awful, mine tend to last two days and sleeping them off is the only thing that helps me.

• Posted

Hi Holly,

I have had migraines most of my life. About 12 years ago, I started using the prescription Maxalt 10mg. (as needed) It has been a lifesaver. I can take it at onset and within 20 minutes be fully functioning. It gave me my life back.

I was prescribed Ven. on Friday for anxiety after just having lost my father and the fact that it helps with hot flashes and night sweats. I ended up with a migraine that day and nausea. I took a Maxalt which worked, but since I took my second dose of Ven on Saturday, the migraine came back and I still have an intense headache today and it is Monday. I took a Maxalt 30 minutes ago. My head is 100% better. I won't be taking Venlafaxine anymore. Calling GP today.

• Posted

Venlaflaxine raises your blood pressure. Get it checked. This could be the cause.
    • Posted

Does it, didn't realise that, might be the cause of it. Will definitely make an appointment with doctor then smile

Thank you Helen x

• Posted

Yes you can get it from the pharmacy and it's called imigran. However I get it on prescription as it's expensive. Simitriptin is the generic name and you get 6 tablets rather than 3 or 4 with imigran. They work ok with the Ven to. Hope this helps. X
  • Posted

Hi

Your life saver been having most awful migraines three weeks to the extent that could not bear light sound changed my diet cut out caffeine tried painkillers nothing. Not until 3.22 am on another awful nights sleep that I had my eureka moment wondered if it could be medication when I came across your post. Speaking to my GP who maybe able to advise me. If this is the case then hopefully as I have just started the medication we can look at an alternative. Thousand thank you Hollyworrier 19 . Last but no means least sincerely hope your feeling better resolved your headaches TQ everyone else's comments very informative

• Posted

Interesting. I was just given this prescription Friday morning. I had a the beginning of a migraine with nausea later in the day. We happened to be driving for several hours, so I thought I was car sick. Then several hours after taking it on Saturday, I woke up with a debilitating headache and still have it. It is Monday. Calling GP today. Thank you for posting this. I hope you find relief.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.