Venlafaxine and migraines

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

I suffer from chronic migraines and am now experiencing for the first time anxiety and depression. My GP has prescribed antidepressants and so far i have tried mirtazapine and fluoxetine but the side effects were too bad so i have now been on 37.5 of venlafaxine for 2 weeks. Since being on this one, i have had a constant headache (can be on the right or left side) and my mood does not appear to have improved. Has anyone had similar side effects and should i persevere with this one? i am beginning to think that i am not suited to any anti depressant ! I have just had another migraine attack too so I am at my wits end. I am 59 and been suffering from the migraines for around 10 years (after a hysterectomy). Any advice would be greatly appreciated .

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hello Cindy

As I know others will tell you, it can take up to six weeks before you feel any sustained benefit from the drug. I would have thought that you should however start to feel some relief soon. If my memory serves me correctly headache can be a side effect of this drug. You may find things settle in time but I appreciate that at the moment you just want to feel well. Perhaps as you suffer with migraine already you could have a chat with your GP to see if they can offer a solution in the interim and see how things go. The frustration with antidepressants that one size does not fit all, if only. It is a trial and error exercise which we can do without when feeling so desperately unwell. Use this site for support, it has a very good community. Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.